Summary

Print Error

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7 64-bit

Description of the issue

In Windows 7 64-bit, using a button on a layout to run a script I receive an error message that the printer is not on a port (works fine in XP).  I can print, however, if I uncheck the "Perform Without Dialog" checkbox.  It seems that printing without dialog is the culprit.  And using the Print button on the Toolbar works fine.  My script is simple:

Select Window [Current Window]
      Go to Layout ["Plain Print" (ABLUMENTHAL)]
      Print [Restore, No dialog]
      Go to Layout ["Tabs" (ABLUMENTHAL)]

I double-checked the Print line and it is set to the correct printer (the default printer, which is set to 192.168.2.151).  A few times I've received "Error fmp10_tutorial.pdf."
      I've tried adding delays between the lines in the script, to no avail.  Thank you for any help you can provide.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Only occurs when printing through the script.

Workaround

If I uncheck "Perform Without Dialog" and the printer window opens, it WILL print from there, following which the script finishes as expected.

PrintError1.jpg

• 1. Re: Print Error
          philmodjunk

Can't tell if you tried this from your post:

1. Open the script in the script editor.
          2. Double click the print script step and re-specify all the print options. Select the "perform without dialog" option and save your script.
          3. Now test and see if you still get the same error.

It may be that the stored printer settings from XP needed to be updated for your new system.

• 2. Re: Print Error
            KevinSteiger

You were correct, I deleted the print script and re-created it, and it works fine.

I took it for granted that since the settings looked correct for the Windows 7 printer, that it should work fine.  Now I need to try it on one of my XP machines to see if it works there too.  I hope it does.  It would be quite annoying if the script only worked for the printer it was created for and not the default printer on any PC.

Thanks again for your response.  I appreciate it.

Kevin

• 3. Re: Print Error
              philmodjunk

Print Steps with [restore] are pretty specific, which is why I suggested this fix. You may want to create several scripts that have just a single Print [restore] and then modify your scripts to identify the OS, then use Perform Script to call the relevant print script.

• 4. Re: Print Error
                KevinSteiger

Thanks, Phil.  Fortunately, all the PC's on my network that access the database (about 20) are running XP.  I'm just preparing for the day when we begin upgrading to Windows 7.  To be honest, I'm very new at this.  I've only been using FileMaker for about two weeks, and I've learned quite a bit.  My previous database experience, believe it or not, is with an app called Advanced DB-Master for DOS.  Yes, DOS.  We finally moved on to the Windows-based version last September, and thankfully I am no longer responsible for that database.  Although quite powerful for its day (1994), the differences between ADBM for DOS and FileMaker are night and day.

I'm using the book FileMaker Pro 10, The Missing Manual, but it doesn't delve deep enough for some of the things I need to do, or maybe it doesn't explain things clearly enough for me, or maybe I'm just dense.

I don't want to bother you with more questions, except one:  Can you suggest a good FileMaker book?

Thanks again,

Kevin

• 5. Re: Print Error
                  philmodjunk

I'm "self taught" starting with a degree in computer programming and have used FileMaker since FMP 2.5. Thus, I haven't read any of the "how to" books that have come out. You might post that question separately to the FileMaker Pro forum, (Not here in Report an Issue), and see if someone else can recommend something.

Another possibility would be to go to Amazon.com, look up books on FileMaker and read the reader reviews to see if there's a better option.

• 6. Re: Print Error
                    KevinSteiger

Thanks, Phil.  Once again, I will take your advice.  I appreciate your time.

Kevin