Print Error saying header and footer are too large in FM12Pro
FileMaker Pro 12
Operating system version
Description of the issue
I have a layout set up specifically to print a small barcode onto a label using a special label printer. This feature works great in FileMaker Pro 11, but my company is upgrading to v.12. I'm in the testing phase and noticed that nothing was printing when I select the print button, so I did some troubleshooting.
The layout seems to format a little differently than in FM11, with added margins or something. Once I made it "look" like it did in FM11 I select 'Preview' on the layout and it looks fine...exactly how I want it to print on my label. When I select 'Print' I get an error that says "The combined size of the Header plus the Footer is longer than can fit on the page. To print, first make the Header or Footer shorter or use longer paper."
There are several oddities here. First, I don't have a Header or Footer on the layout at all, so it shouldn't be trying to print one. That's the main reason I think this is a bug. Second, I installed all the print drivers on my Mac and it actually prints just fine using FM12...why would it work on the Mac but not the PC? I've also tried adding a header and footer and reducing their height to 0px but I got the same error.
Steps to reproduce the problem
Go to my layout, select 'Preview', then select 'Print'.
A barcode label should be printed.
An error message which prevents any data from even being sent to the printer. It essentially cancels the print job before even trying.
Exact text of any error message(s) that appear
"The combined size of the Header plus the Footer is longer than can fit on the page. To print, first make the Header or Footer shorter or use longer paper."
As I've stated above, I've done a lot of troubleshooting. I even consulted with an "expert" on the FileMaker forums and he ran out of ideas. Here are a few things I've tried, just to have a comprehensive list:
- Tried reformatting my layout in multiple ways: no luck
- Tried adding a header and footer and reducing their height to 0px: no luck
- Tried re-creating the layout in FM12 from scratch, bringing in new fields: no luck
- Tried creating a new layout in a new file in FM12 and put a simple text box on it: same result with the error message
- Tried reinstalling the print drivers: no luck
- Tried updating the printer firmware: I have the most recent version
- Tried the whole process on a second PC: exact same error and result
- Tried sending to PDF rather than printing: it exported to PDF just fine and looked exactly right. I was able to print from Adobe reader, but this is not an acceptable process in my work environment
- Tried the whole process on a Mac: after slight reconfiguration of the layout it printed fine
The only thing that works is using a Mac or reverting to FM11. I have not gotten FM12 to print at all from a PC.