7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2010 2:52 PM by Steve Wright

Print from webpage in webviewer (no printers available)

Steve Wright

Summary

Print from webpage in webviewer (no printers available)

Description of the issue

On my system, using Filemaker Pro 10  Advanced, when I choose a print button (from a webpage)the print dialog box pops up with no printers. From internet explorer, printers show correctly.From filemaker directly, printers show correctly. Likewise, right clicking a page in the webviewer and choosing print, shows no printers.Right clicking and choosing print preview, pops up the preview window, but clicking print shows no printers either. Does anybody have any ideas, is this a V10 bug and / or is this related to FM10 and Win 7 ?

• 1. Re: Print from webpage in webviewer (no printers available)
          philmodjunk

Just did a quick test with FMP 10 advanced on Windows Xp, sp3. I right clicked a page in a Web Viewer and selected print. The expected print dialog did appear and did list the printer drivers installed on my machine.

Perhaps this is a Windows 7 issue. Perhaps there are other factors not yet identified here.

• 2. Re: Print from webpage in webviewer (no printers available)
            Steve Wright

I just run a test using a FM10 runtime on another PC running windows 7 32bit Home Premium  and get the same behaviour

Perhaps it is a windows 7 issue, unfortunatly I wont get chance to test on further operating systems tongiht..

P.S This is a webviewer in filemaker (even though it may not look like it)

Screenshot

• 3. Re: Print from webpage in webviewer (no printers available)
              Steve Wright

Just to quickly add to this...

After taking the screenshot, I continued to browse the forums...

I closed the forum and then realised that dialog box now shows all the printers

So I repeated the process...  it took about 1 minute to show the list of printers available, but they did show, so more investigation is required on my part...

• 4. Re: Print from webpage in webviewer (no printers available)
                TSGal

SW:

Do you have any other information you can share?  That is, did your investigation return any results that you want to share?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Print from webpage in webviewer (no printers available)
                  Steve Wright

Ive not found out the actual cause of this yet im afriad, it does seem to be another Win 7 issue.

To be honest now I know it does actually work, albeit after a little waiting time its not going to cause me any real issues within my solutions, so I have put it to the bottom of my list for know.

Ill probably take another look at it in a few weeks to see if I can come to any conclusions

• 6. Re: Print from webpage in webviewer (no printers available)
                    Steve Wright

I've just re-visiting this issue.

The problem is, the content length can be varied, a web viewer does not (understandably) work with 'sliding' to reduce the enclosing layout part (or at least not from where im sitting) so printing a layout with a web-viewer on would not work, without having lots of blank pages.

I've spent a fair bit of time investigating, but cannot come up with any way to resolve it, short of exporting the webviewer contents to a html page, then opening it directly in IE.  But that's a clunky work around. 

TSGal, I dont suppose you could check if anything like this been reported previously ?  

Anything that could help narrow it down at least. 

So far, it seems to be affecting both Windows 7 and Windows Vista, with IE8 if that makes any difference. 
                    Windows XP appears fine (as PhilModJunk stated)

A few more things I noticed...  Right clicking and choosing print preview, shows the preview fine.

Clicking on print from that window also has a delay of around 1 minute before pritners are shown.

Using Internet explorer directly is fine, there are no delays in showing the installed printers.

Likewise, using print preview directly from IE works fine.

Very bizarre.  

• 7. Re: Print from webpage in webviewer (no printers available)
                      Steve Wright

** Embarrassed **  

Ok, so sitting here for hours may have paid off. lol...

Sometimes, the answer is so obvious, you overlook it time and time again.

You need to run Filemaker as an Administrator, by specifically choosing the option not relying on the fact that your account is an admin account.

i.e  right clicking on the filemaker icon, going to properties then compatibility and choosing Run as Administrator.