Summary

Print Preview Showing Blue Gradient Background when set to white fill

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v5

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I have a database with a completely blank layout set to a white background. When I switch to preview mode it's showing a blue gradient in the background for some weird reason. See screenshot below.

It might also be related to this issue that reported a red background:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/922e269886?

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. create new layout with just one body part
      2. set background to solid colour/white
      3. switch to preview mode

Expected result

Blank/white layout in preview mode

Actual result

Blue gradient appearing on background

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Workaround

N/A

Screen_Shot_2015-02-05_at_9.39.06_am.png

• 1. Re: Print Preview Showing Blue Gradient Background when set to white fill
          philmodjunk

One thing that you can check:

While in layout mode, select the body layout part, then go to the Appearance tab, pull down the drop down that reads "primary" and check the appearance settings for the alternate and active states for your body layout part.

• 2. Re: Print Preview Showing Blue Gradient Background when set to white fill
            databuzz

I can't set the Primary/Alternate states for the body layout part - these are greyed out/not selectable in v12.0v5.

The issue isn't related to that in any case. It appears to be related to some interplay when opening the same file in v12 and v13 (I've reported another issue related to Tab Control names that results from opening the file in v12 and v13). I've just managed to make it go away after a few attempts by opening the file in v13 and setting the layout graphics to solid colour/white (even though it was already set to that in v12).

Something appears to affect the file when you work on it in v12 and v13.

• 3. Re: Print Preview Showing Blue Gradient Background when set to white fill

databuzz: 

Thank you for the post.

I am unable to replicate. To attempt to replicate with FileMaker Pro 12.0v5, I performed the following steps:

1. Created a new file call "TestBackground.fmp12"

2. Created a new layout, deleted the header and the footer

2. Changed the Body part fill to solid white

4. Viewed in Preview Mode

5. Opened the file with FileMaker Pro 13.0v5

6. Viewed in Preview Mode

Actual Result: In both FileMaker Pro 12.0v5 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v5, Preview mode displays with a white background.

To be clear, no objects are present on the layout? Does this occur in a new database file? Any steps I am missing to replicate?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Print Preview Showing Blue Gradient Background when set to white fill
                databuzz

Thanks TSFalson,

I've just sent a message to TSGal about this as you can reproduce this in a file I had sent to her last week regarding a strange issue I was having with Tab Control names being different in layout/browse mode. Let me know if you want me to send the file to you as well.

I suspect you might have to make some changes to the file in layout mode in v13 for this to become apparent. I have reproduced it with a blank layout without any layout objects using the Classic theme. I'll see if I can reproduce this in a new file as well.

Andrew

• 5. Re: Print Preview Showing Blue Gradient Background when set to white fill
                  philmodjunk

Have you checked the appearance settings of the Layout Background?

It surprised me a while back to discover that you can fill either the body  or the layout background with color...

• 6. Re: Print Preview Showing Blue Gradient Background when set to white fill
                    TSGal

databuzz:

Thank you for the file.

I was able to replicate the issue, and the file was sent to Testing for review.  The assigned tester believes the file was edited with FileMaker Pro 13, and when going back to FileMaker Pro 12, the layout background was not exposed in the user interface controls, so it could not be modified.  The tester suggested the following:

1. Open the database file in FileMaker Pro 12.
                    2. Create a new Classic Theme layout.
                    3. Right-click the Body label and choose Fill -> Transparent (to make the Body part transparent).  The blue gradient continues to appear.
                    4. Close the file in FileMaker Pro 12, and open the file with FileMaker Pro 13.
                    5. Modify the Layout background style.

This will then remove the blue gradient background.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.