On my windows 7 system using 13.0v2, I could not reproduce this issue.
- I opened print setup and selected a different printer than the one shown in the printer drop down and clicked OK to close the dialog.
- I then opened Print and check the printer dialog.
- I found the same printer selected that I had selected in Print Setup.
- I repeated this several times selecting different printers.
When you do this, are you working with a file that is hosted over the network? (I tested this on a machine that is local to my computer.)
Damn, it happens 100% of the time with the clients that are experiencing it here.
First it was only one person, then it was 2, then 3, ...Scratch that, it's all clients (just that more clients are starting to notice..)
It only happens in one of my files, and the file IS hosted over the network...
Thank you for your posts.
Assuming there is something amiss with the specific file, I would first unhost the file and open it locally. Go to Print Setup and select a DIFFERENT printer, and then go to Print. Does the Print dialog now show the different printer? If so, then go back into Print Setup and select the original printer again. Then, go to the Print dialog box. If the original printer now displays, then close the file and put the file back on the server.
Assuming this doesn't work, create scripts that performs the Print Setup and Print steps (to the respective printers), and have the users execute the scripts rather than manually selecting Print Setup and Print.
Keep me updated with any progress.
I thought this was widespread but after seeing it only happens to one file and no one else has this problem it seems like this is not a FM product bug but just a problem with a file. (my apologies for posting in the wrong place, I promise I'm trying to get this right.. )
OK, I tried the suggestion. (I ran a backup last night so I was able to try it locally without interrupting employees.) I really wish it would work, but no matter what I chose in print setup, print always defaults to PDF. This file never picks up the default printer.
Thank you for the workaround suggestion but there's no way I can convince my users not to use the File >Print dialog, it just isn't practical of me to think they will understand. My users are not tech savvy in the least bit and aren't receptive to technological change. Looks like we'll just have to deal with it forever.. The corruption is apparently embedded into my file and I can't rebuild because I can't break that link. That file is my hub for 20+ related files and all sorts of calcs,scripts, etc.
Thank you both for your help,
You posted in the right place. It looked like a bug, walked like a bug and only when you looked a bit closer with our help did you find out otherwise. That happens all the time and that is one of reasons why a forum format is used to report possible bugs in the system.
This is a file for which you should make and keep many backup copies--at least one each day.
I suggest that you take your most recent backup copy of this file, use Recover to recover it and test the recovered copy of the file to see if it shows the same behavior even if the recover process does not report finding/fixing a problem. (Recover puts some things back to "factor spec" without checking them for problems and that may be enough to fix this problem.)
If the recovered copy works for you, you might get the same fix if you use advanced recover options with "Copy file blocks as is" and "Delete cached settings" specified. That copy will be a better option to use going forward if those options correct the problem.
Things to keep in mind about Recover:
While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...
- The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
- Recover does not detect all problems
- Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
- Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).
OK so I ran the Recover as you suggested and IT WORKED!!!! THANK YOU!
Now all I need to do is replace the corrupted file with a recovered copy of it. I read through what I could find but I'm not finding specifics on this task. Can you please point me in the right direction?
I assume the steps would be:
1. Disconnect all clients and Close all databases.
2. Make a backup of all databases, just incase something goes terribly wrong.
3. Run the Recover. File to be saved in same location, named xxxRecovered.fmp12.
4. Open xxxRecovered.fmp12 and verify everything is working. Close it.
5. From Windows explorer, rename xxxOriginal.fmp12 to xxxCorrupted.fmp12. Then rename xxxRecovered.fmp12 to xxxOriginal.fmp12 (...right?)
Your plan is solid, but you don't have to close ALL databases. Just close the original file, run a Recover on the original file, and then open the Recovered file and verify it is working. Once done, close it, do your renaming, and then open the new file in FileMaker Server. That way, others can still access other files on the server while you are creating the recovered file.
If there are external data source references to the damaged file in the other files, it may be simpler to close them all.
It worked like a charm! Completed in 30 minutes start to finish. I took the ultra-safe route, even added a step between 1/2 to turn off the entire Server (since all my files are connected)
Can't thank you both enough!