3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2010 9:56 AM by hschlossberg

Print setup script step doesn't remember printer in fmp 10 and 11!

ChristiaanSchriks

Summary

Print setup script step doesn't remember printer in fmp 10 and 11!

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

10 and 11 (Version 8 works correct)

Operating system version

Windows XP Professional

Description of the issue

I created 3 test files with FileMaker Pro Advanced 8, 10 and 11 on the same Windows XP Professional computer. In each file I created two scripts, each with the print setup script step. Script 1 to remember printer A and script 2 to remember printer B. In reality A & B are printers on a network with different names. Only version 8 correctly remembers the appropriate printer in each script. Version 10 and 11 DO NOT remember the printer selected and keep on displaying the last printer that was chosen.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Recreate a FMP file with 2 scripts, each with 1 script step (print setup). Try to remember 2 different printers on a network.

Expected result

Each script step saves a different printer.

Actual result

Script step always shows the last printer selected, i.e. the script step does not remember te printer chosen!

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message!

Configuration information

Windows XP Professional OS running FileMaker Advanced version 8, 10 and 11. 2 Network printers configured.

Workaround

I have not found a work around, but the Print script step actually shows the printername and this script step seems to remember the printername correctly!

• 1. Re: Print setup script step doesn't remember printer in fmp 10 and 11!
          hschlossberg

Printers are not saved with the Print Setup step; they are saved with the actual Print step.  I agree this is frustrating and unfortunate, but even the Print step is not always reliable in getting the correct printer.  There are some plugins around that can handle this much more cleanly.

• 2. Re: Print setup script step doesn't remember printer in fmp 10 and 11!
            ChristiaanSchriks

If printers are not saved within the print setup script step then why does it work fine in FMP 8? Also what is the relevance of the print setup script step if the printer is not saved? Is there anybody out there who uses different print setup script steps where the printers are remembered correctly? What OS do you use? What FMP version? How are your printers configured on the network?

• 3. Re: Print setup script step doesn't remember printer in fmp 10 and 11!
              hschlossberg

It may have worked in FM8, although it was often inconsistent.  I'm pretty sure printer specification has changed between every single version between FM6 and FM10 (10 and 11 seem to work identically).

I am speaking from experience on Windows XP.  Mac works differently (and more likely correctly).

The relevance of the Print Setup step is in setting orientation and paper size, as these effect the specific output from FM to the printer (whereas the printer name and tray don't effect FM output, but only to where the data is being sent).

The disappointing part of this is that the reason for displaying the Print Setup step to users is to allow them to change printers without having to display the actual Print step (where they also may change the scope of records being printed, something we usually want to prevent).  But if you want to specify record scope and/or print range in the Print step (which we ALWAYS do), then the printer saved with that Print step will override whatever the user has set in the Print Setup step.

The real answer here would be for FileMaker to provide customized setup and print dialogs (they currently use the OS standard dialogs) so that printing could actually work in a desirable and predictable way.