Print setup script step problem in Windows version

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.v4

Operating system version

Windows 7-64Bit

Description of the issue

Hi, i have two scripts that enable data to be printed from different printers.

The first script looks like this:

print setup [Restore; no dialog]

print [Restore: Printer A ; no dialog]

and the other script looks like this:

print setup [restore; no dialog]

print [Restore: Printer B ; no dialog]

the problem is that when i change the first script print setup, the script step,print setup in second script also being changed to the same as the first script. And when i change the print setup script step in the second script, the first script also being affected. It seems to print using the same printer from both scripts. It means that the printer setting cant be saved.

I have asked the same question in the forum, and someone told me to try it in a new file. So, i have tried it, and the same problem occurred.

i am using filemaker pro advanced 12

windows 7 64 bits

Steps to reproduce the problem

I create a new file and test with the same script steps. It seem to be the same problem within the old file.

Also i tried this on mac, it works perfectly on mac but buggy on windows.

• 1. Re: Print setup script step problem in Windows version
          TSGal

Jojo Yaya:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  Here are the steps I took:

1. Using FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 on Windows 7, I create a new file, one table, one Text field (Name) with the contents "TSGal".

2. I created a script "Printer 1 Portrait" with the steps:
             Print Setup [ Restore ; No dialog ]   // Specified Printer 1 for Portrait
             Print [ Restore ; <printer 1 name> ; No dialog ]

3. I created a second script "Printer 2 Landscape" with the steps:
             Print Setup [ Restore ; No dialog ]   // Specified Printer 2 for Landscape
             Print [ Restore ; <printer 2 name> ; No dialog ]

4. I ran "Printer 1 Portrait", and Printer 1 had the correct output in Portrait.

5. I ran "Printer 2 Landscape", and Printer 2 had the correct output in Landscape.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Print setup script step problem in Windows version
            HB

I have the same problem but I wonder if it is because of the naming of the printers not being exact, especially network printers. It seems to go to the last printer used if the printer name isn't exact. I am trying to get a script working on 2 computers sharing 2 printers & its becoming impossible. Seems like the naming of the printers can't be the same from both computers so it goes back to the last one selected on that particular printer! Both printers are connected USB to one computer & shared to the other. Any ideas??

• 3. Re: Print setup script step problem in Windows version
              JojoYaya

Hi, you can try to add a script step defining user name. Let me give u an example.

You can go to preferences there, set a special user name such as "computer1".  Then on other PC, set user name to "computer2". 

In your print script, u add a step : if get user name = "computer1"

Print setup

Print

Else if get user name = "computer2"

Print setup2

Print2

End if

Let me know if this workaround works for you.

• 4. Re: Print setup script step problem in Windows version
                HB

Jojo

Thanks

I will try that route when I get some time - proly be a bit - busy season for us.