Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12/13

Operating system version

OS X 10.10.1

Description of the issue

Any print setup step will reset scrollbars in portals on screen.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Portal on screen, scrolled halfway down.  A script is run that does a print setup, and the portal scrollbar is reset.

Expected result

I would hope it would not reset the scrollbar

Actual result

it resets the scrollbar.  Particularly annoying as customers have complained. Reason being they are running a script in a portal that opens a new window for printing an invoice, which happens to do a print setup, but the portal jumps to the top each time so they lose their place when working. 

The print setup step doesn't matter which window context it is run in, in this case it is run from a separate window entirely yet still causes portals on all windows to be reset.

Workaround

can't find a workaround.  We can't do the print setups on startup because you can only have 1 configuration at any given time in the database, and different documents printed during a users session have different print setup requirements.

• 1. Re: Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars
          TSGal

Weetbicks:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue under Mac OS X 10.10 (it does not occur under Mac OS X 9 and earlier).  This also affects value lists and Manage Database dialog. This issue has also been reported to Apple.

I have attached your post to the original issue.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars
            fmweetbicks

I'm not sure this is the same issue you mention. I have seen the issues you mentioned, whereas this happens in both 13 and 12 versions, and is also OS indepdent.  This issue first was noticed by our users who are Windows based over Citrix. I have also tested this on Windows Server 2008 R2 (which is the server machine) running FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced latest update, and this happens on this OS also.

• 3. Re: Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars
              TSGal

Weetbicks:

I am unable to replicate this issue using FileMaker Pro 13.0v4 under both Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.10.1.  This is what I have done:

1. I created two tables "Primary" and "Secondary", linked together by "ID" (Number).  The "Secondary" table also includes the fields "Name" (Text) and "Picture" (Container).

2. In the "Secondary" layout, I created five records, each with the same ID value of "1", with Name values "Ann", "Betty", "Cathy", "Debbie", and "Erica".  I also inserted various pictures in the "Picture" Container field.

3. In the "Primary" layout, I created a Portal into "Secondary" displaying the "Name" and "Picture" fields.  I enabled the option to "Show vertical scroll bar", and I formatted to show 2 rows.  I then sized the portal to view the "Picture field".

4. In Browse mode, I see the first two records (Ann and Betty).  I scroll the portal to the last row, and select the last portal row so it is highlighted.

5. I go to Print Setup, check the options, click OK, and the portal remains with the last record highlighted.

This works on both Mac OS X 10.10.1 and Windows 7.

What you may be seeing is the case where no portal row is selected/active, as the Print Setup will refresh the non-active fields (including the portal).  Could this be the case?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars
                fmweetbicks

hi TSGal,

Yes this does look to be the case. I replicated your test case and with a field actively selected within the portal row in question, the print setup step does not jump the portal to the top.  When there is no actively selected field, it will jump.

Ok so this is good it means I do have a workaround. Can you confirm this is just standard FM behavior and not a bug? In my particular situation there are no actively enterable fields in the portal and the user is clicking a button.  Does this mean to workaround the issue I will basically in my script have to "go to field" within the clicked portal row so something is at least active, then run the rest of the script as per usual, and as a last step go back to the primary window and commit record to exit the active field?  (this is complicated a little by the fact the button opens a new window so there will be some added window management here).

Thank you for identifying the cause!

• 5. Re: Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars
                  TSGal

Weetbicks:

This is standard FileMaker behavior.

For clarification, you do not have to make a field active in the portal; just make the portal row active by clicking on the background of that portal row.  Or, before the Print Setup use the script step:

Go to Portal Row [ Select ; No dialog ; Get (ActivePortalRowNumber) ]

I also recommend that you enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file hosted by Product Management and Development.  All suggestions are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of contact questions asked on the form that only you can answer.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars
                    TSGal

Weetbicks:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars
                      fmweetbicks

Awesome, thank you TSGal

• 8. Re: Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars
                        Jeremiah_Hammond

Hi TSGal:

I'm still having this issue in FileMaker 15, both on Mac and Windows. Using Pro Advanced 15v1 64-bit, Mac OS X 10.11.6, Windows 10 64-bit.

On a Mac, even inside a field in a portal or actively selecting the portal row, the scrollbar resets to the top. On Windows, the scrollbar moves so the current row is at the bottom of the portal, which is better than the top, but not ideal.

• 9. Re: Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars
                          TSGal

Jeremiah_Hammond:

My apologies.  There were two issues reported on this thread, and only one was addressed.

The issue where the first item in Tables list or Fields list scrolls out of the visible area when Manage Database dialog is invoked has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

The main issue of clicking OK in Print Setup refreshing the portals has not been addressed.  The notes from Development and Testing show this will not be addressed because resetting the page settings is currently needed for both Preview Mode and Layout Mode.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars
                            Jeremiah_Hammond

Thanks TSGal. Sounds like I'll need to submit a feature request.

To me, the client should be smart enough to know not to refresh the layout in a window if Print Setup is being called in Browse Mode.

• 11. Re: Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars
                              HazMatt

Yeah, I agree; it would be great if Browse Mode remained unaffected by Print Setup.

Workaround:  move your print layouts and scripts to a different file.  Fun, right?

• 12. Re: Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars
                                Benjamin Fehr

Shouldn't

New Window [same Layout]

Print Setup

close Window

do the trick?

• 13. Re: Print Setup step will reset Portal Scrollbars
                                  HazMatt

No, performing a Print / Page Setup in one window will "reset" all windows in the same file.

1 of 1 people found this helpful