1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 9:11 AM by disabled_ntaylor

printing "Records being browsed" no longer works

steve.weinberg

Summary

printing "Records being browsed" no longer works

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.8

Description of the issue

You know, right around the time I upgraded to Mountain Lion OS X 10.8 it started.  printing "Records being browsed" no longer works.  Only one record prints even if 8 are "being browsed" and all of the settings in the print dialogue box are correct. (20 year Mac user and Filemaker user.  I know the drill)

Is this a known issue with Mountain Lion and Filemaker 10?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Database with 1000+ records

Want to print a letter to 8 selected records

I click on "Records being browsed"

Only one prints.

Same with printing in other layouts, as well.

Envelopes
      Labels
      etc.

Even if I select pdf and save as pdf, only one letter of the 8 is saved.

Expected result

8 separate letters would print

8 letters would be saved in pdf format

etc

etc

Actual result

only the first record gets printed then the printing ends.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Workaround

none

Filemaker_print_dialogue_box.jpg

• 1. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works
          philmodjunk

This looks new to me. If you have access to a different printer, try printing with it as a test and see if you get the same issue. That may tell the FileMaker techs a bit more about where the possible issue lies.

It's also a reasonable test to create a small, brand new file, create a few records and then try printing from it to see if this works with the test file. If you can print from the test file, this may indicate that there's a problem that has developed with your file.

• 2. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works
            steve.weinberg

New file printed fine!!  Well almost

Created new file with 4 records

Asked it to print "Current record" - all 4 records printed

Asked it to print "Records being browsed"  all 4 records printed.

??

So I guess that's not so good either.

The problem deepens.

• 3. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works
              philmodjunk

What happens if you test "save as PDF" with both of these options?

• 4. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works
                steve.weinberg

Either way (this contact or contacts being browsed) it crates a pdf with all 4 records

• 5. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works
                  steve.weinberg

you know what I meant

Current Record

or

Records being browsed

Hey, thanks for helping.

• 6. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works
                    RickWhitelaw

I use two laser printers, one old and one new. I use the older one to print cheques and have custom printing routines that involve  shell scripts. When I upgraded to Lion I noticed the printer was not completing all tasks. I tried it on the newer printer and all was well, so my coding was fine. I believe it's a driver issue. Samsung simply doesn't have a driver for the printer that's truly Lion compatible. It's probably 10 years old! My solution is to get a newer b/w laser printer with available current drivers.

RW

• 7. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works
                      steve.weinberg

Rick, thanks to you for responsing, as well.

I use an HP Officejet printer.  (suspect similar lack of diligence in Apple driver compatability) What's got me confounded now is that by following Phil's advide I created a brand new 5 record database and looked to see if it could differentiate between the different print commands.

(Phil, I also checked a few other of my existing FileMaker databases and all of them seem to be having the same problem with printing the current layout of more than one record at a time, regardless of the print dialogue box instructions)

- with all 5 records being browsed, I tried printing out both "current record" and "records being browsed.

Both times it printed all 5 records

- With only 1 record being browsed, it only printed that 1 record - obviously, I guess.

- with 3 records being browsed, I tried printing out both "current record" and "records being browsed.

Both times it printed all 3 records

This new file is doing the opposite of what the HP printer driver software is doing with my older FileMaker databases'

Go figure!

Steve

• 8. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works
                        RonFields

I have the exact same problem.

Running 10.8.2, FileMaker 10.0v3

Have 22,751 records in this database and not very easy to create a new database.

Example, find 12 records, go to print found records ( or even try to create a ODF ) only the first record is Printed or created to a PDF.

Printing on a Brother HL5250DN

Any suggestions or workarounds?

• 9. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works
                          philmodjunk

Given the difference in versions, this may not be the same issue.

Did you print selecting the "records being browsed" option?

What operating system are you using, Mac or Windows? the version of the same?

Have you tried going to the web site for Brother printers to see if an updated driver is available? (This is a long shot, but costs you nothing to try.)

• 10. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works
                            nitephx

I went from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I'm using Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3. Printing was fine in 10.6.8. It appears that now under 10.8.2 when you select Print and then tick the Current record radio button all records that are currently in your found set will print. This applies to printing to my Lexmark T522, Lexmark C544 and Save as PDF... under the PDF drop down box within the print window.

So in my case Mountain Lion will print all records being browsed even if the Current record radio button is ticked.

I could understand this perhaps being a driver issue seeing as my printers are old but when you throw in the same behaviour when you save to PDF I have to wonder if something else isn't broken.

• 11. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works
                              philmodjunk

Save as PDF accesses the current printer driver for some of the info it uses to generate the PDF so it's not impossible for a driver issue to be the culprit and for a change in printer or a driver update to fix the problem. It's also possible that this is a Mountain Lion Issue.

Please keep in mind that we have multiple reports here and not all are reporting from the exact same context. My previous post was a specific response to Ron Fields in an attempt to confirm some specific details not evident in his report of trouble.

• 12. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works
                                steve.weinberg

Hello?

It's almost 2 months with not even any recognition that this is a real problem.  Have the Filemaker bugmeisters been looking at this?  It's a pretty singificant bug that seems to have cropped up.

Not sure if PhilModJunk is an offical Filemaker respondent here.  Don't want to pick on him.  But I would have expected some action on this issue by now.  certainly some offical FileMaker feedback.

Steve

• 13. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works

Steve Weinberg:

Thank you for the post.

FileMaker 10 and earlier versions of FileMaker have not been tested or certified with Mac OS X Mountain Lion.  These products were developed and released before Mac OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion became available.

While these earlier versions may install and run on Mac OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion, you may encounter installation and stability issues for which there is no resolution. We strongly recommend you use current FileMaker software.

The full knowledge base article Answer ID: 11007 can be found at the following url:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11007

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: printing "Records being browsed" no longer works
                                    philmodjunk

I do not work for FileMaker Inc.

1 2 Previous Next