6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2012 10:28 AM by ChrisAnderson

Printing Error: The combined size of the header plus footer is longer than can fit

ChrisAnderson

Summary

Printing Error: The combined size of the header plus footer is longer than can fit

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

7.0 v2

Operating system version

Windows XP Pro 32-bit

Description of the issue

As of last Tuesday I am not able to print a report that used to print without any problems. When I attempt to print the report I continue to get this message regardless of what size paper, or how much I reduce the image on the paper. It will not even spool the print job.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open FileMaker .fp7 database, select Supplier Invoice Report module, select layout called Invoice Data Entry, hit cancel to back out of new entry. Select File, then print, select ok. It begins the printing job and then immediately gets message: "The combined size of the header plus the footer is longer than can fit on the page. To print, first make sure the header or footer are shorter or use longer paper."

Expected result

The job used to print automtically and fit on the paper.

Actual result

Only the error message comes up, no job is printed. One must hit OK and then close the program since hitting cancel or escape does not work.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"The combined size of the header plus the footer is longer than can fit on the page. To print, first make sure the header or footer are shorter or use longer paper."

Workaround

None, I cannot get the job to spool.

HeaderFooter_Error.JPG

• 1. Re: Printing Error: The combined size of the header plus footer is longer than can fit
          philmodjunk

Has anything been changed on your system? New printer or updated printer driver? New windows update?

You might take this file and run a recover on it and test the recovered copy to see if it behaves any differently. If so, it would seem likely that your file is damaged and should be replaced with a back up copy of the file that is not damaged.

• 2. Re: Printing Error: The combined size of the header plus footer is longer than can fit
            ChrisAnderson

I cannot tell that anything has changed. I checked and no Windows Update has been applied since that time.

I ran the recovery on the file and that did not help anything. I will try to recover a backup copy from tape and see if that one works any better.

In a test file that I copied, I was able to delete the footer and print the document but it prints as it shows on the screen and not the report that used to print. Unfortunately I am not the one who created this so I do not know how it was setup originally.

Thank you for your help! I will update once I have had a chance to restore a file from the backups.

-Chris

• 3. Re: Printing Error: The combined size of the header plus footer is longer than can fit
              ChrisAnderson

I have restored an earlier version from the backup tapes and still have the same issue. I have also restored the computer from an earlier point in time, before the the program started acting up, but that also has not helped.

The printer and printer driver are the same ones that have been there. It also errors out if I try to print to another printer as well.

Do I have any other options but to recreate the layout? I have not worked in FileMaker before and do not have much time to learn it.

Please let me know if there are any other ideas I should pursue.

Thanks,

Chris

• 4. Re: Printing Error: The combined size of the header plus footer is longer than can fit
                philmodjunk

In a test file that I copied, I was able to delete the footer and print the document but it prints as it shows on the screen and not the report that used to print. Unfortunately I am not the one who created this so I do not know how it was setup originally.

Does this mean that you use a script to print this report?

If so, can you, as a test, print from the report layout without using the script? You'll need to find the correct layout to switch to and possibly perform a find and sort records on that layout, but if you can print successfully from the report layout without using the script, it may be that there is something in the script that can be fixed such as replacing a print setup step with a new copy.

If manually printing from the report layout produces the same error, then you may indeed have to rebuild the layout from scratch.

Please note that you are using a very old copy of FileMaker Pro. Current version number is FMP 12 so we could easily tell you how to do something and not realize that a change between v7 and v11 or 12 will prevent you from following our directions.

• 5. Re: Printing Error: The combined size of the header plus footer is longer than can fit
                  ChrisAnderson

Thank you for the suggestions. I will check to see if it is using a script. I don't believe it is and was also thinking I might have to redo the layout as well.

I just can't imagine what happened, since it was working fine beforehand.  I will delve more into it tomorrow! Smile

Thanks again,

Chris

• 6. Re: Printing Error: The combined size of the header plus footer is longer than can fit
                    ChrisAnderson

Thank you for your helpful suggestions Phil.  I am going to close this post for comments. The issue is resolved and was due to the user not running the report from the correct module. There was never meant to be a report printed from the Invoice Entry portion of the program.