Summary

Printing from Filemaker 10 in Windows 7

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

Unable to print.  Constantly getting unspecified print error or message saying printer not connected to port.
      Not specific to a printer and is running via Filemaker server on Windows 7, 64 bit and workstations running on Windows 7 64 bit.
      Intermittent but becoming more regular and most workstations affected.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create and print a report.

Expected result

Document prints

Actual result

Error requiring Filemaker or PC restart

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: Printing from Filemaker 10 in Windows 7
          Steve Wright

I recently came across this issue ""Printing can not continue because this printer is not connected to a port. Use the Control Panel to set up a port." however I could not print full stop.  I could however print from any other windows application perfectly.

I couldn't be specific as to how I fixed the issue, since i tried numerous things listed below :

* Went through and clicked / changed a number of settings on the printer (as advised on techtalk)

Quote : It only manifests in FMP but it is the printer config. I've seen this with Brother & Kyocera printers.
          Even though the settings may look correct in the OS print configs... you need to go to every setting... especially the ports and reselect them. Make sure FMP is quit at the time..

* Removed the port from the print properties and re-added it
          * Removed the print driver completely (deleting the driver files too)
          * Removed the port again
          * Re-Installed the printer and printed from FileMaker before trying anything else

I think thats about it... but needless to say it all started working again as normal..

No idea if this will work in your scenario but anything is worth a shot :-)