Printing full-page letter yields only left half

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11v2

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.5.8

Description of the issue

When a user attempts to print a full-page letter from the server hosted database, the printing process yields only the left half of the page. Fiddling with Page Setup and reprinting usually solves this, but in the meantime, hundreds of pages of paper are getting wasted.

Steps to reproduce the problem

The user sees it on the first set of letters, daily.

Expected result

Letter prints full page.

Actual result

Letter prints only the left half of the page.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error generated.

Configuration information

HP printer drivers under Mac OS 10.5.8, FMP 11v2.

Workaround

Fiddling with settings in Page Setup (changing settings, then changing back and closing Page Setup) fixes it until next startup.

0397_001.jpg

• 1. Re: Printing full-page letter yields only left half
          philmodjunk

This looks like what you might see if a very narrow page size were selected in page setup--such as an envelope setting. When you first open the database and select Page Setup, what page size is selected?

If it shows the proper page size and orientation, trying taking the file down off the server, opening it with filemaker and changing the page setup options to specify the correct page size. Then put the file back up on the server and test. If that fails, you may need to replace the layout with a new version of the same layout. I've seen a case where such a "wrong page size" issue was traced to a corrupted layout and you may have the same issue here.

• 2. Re: Printing full-page letter yields only left half
            StephenKayner

Phil,

I took the server offline and checked Page Setup in client mode. It was set to Letter. I fiddled with the Page Setup settings and saved a couple of times then closed out. The files are back online for users this morning. I tested a few prints myself and didn't see the half-page issue, but as the British say, "the proof is in the pudding." I don't know what it means but it always sounds astute, especially if you use the accent.

Update: a user has just shown me another left-half letter, indicating that the problem is not solved.

• 3. Re: Printing full-page letter yields only left half
              TSGal

Stephen Kayner:

Thank you for your posts.

How does this appear in Preview Mode?  Whatever displays in Preview Mode is exactly what is being sent to the printer.

Since you are running on a Mac, go into Page Setup and make sure Paper Size is set for US Letter, and just below that in smaller font, it should say 8.50 by 11.00 inches.  Also, make sure the Scale is set to 100%.  Then, go back into Preview again.

If you are still having difficulty, I would like to see the database file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Printing full-page letter yields only left half
                StephenKayner

Thanks for the response to my FileMaker issue. Preview shows the half page. Page setup shows Letter is selected. Toggling from Letter to something else, saving, then back to Letter fixes the problem, but users have to be extra careful when printing large batches of these letters on special paper, that they do not waste the whole batch. I can't send the file due to confidentiality issues. It's also related to many other files. Thanks again,  Steve Kayner

• 5. Re: Printing full-page letter yields only left half
                  philmodjunk

To repeat from my first post:

You may need to replace the layout with a new version of the same layout. I've seen a case where such a "wrong page size" issue was traced to a corrupted layout and you may have the same issue here.

Try rebuilding your layout and see if that fixes the problem.