3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2008 12:39 PM by rmanook

Printing in Citrix causes FM to Crash

bdam_1

Summary

Printing in Citrix causes FM to Crash

Description of the issue

We recently began testing FM 9.03 in our Citrix environment and are seeing a serious printing issue.  Across several databases, layouts, and users; FM will frequently, although not always, crash when printing.  No warning, no error report ... it just disappears and the EXE stops running.  Using 8.5v2 this has not been a problem.

• 1. Re: Printing in Citrix causes FM to Crash
          rmanook

Hi bdam,

Thanks for submitting your issue.  As always for these type of submissions, I'd like to try and re-create the issue.  For the purpose of accurate testing, let's verify some information:

General: 

1.  What is the Citrix version?

2.  Is there a benchmark for the printing crash i.e. every 5,10,15 or so print requests 

3.  Has FileMaker Pro 8.5v2 been tested under the same benchmark as FileMaker Pro 9? 

4.  Are you running the FileMaker Pro 8.5v2 tests on the same 'problem' FileMaker Pro 9 machines?  

Concerning Printers: 

1.  What is the printer driver version? Have they been updated recently? If they are proprietary, does the crashing still occur with generic PCL drivers?

2.  How many printers will cause the crashing?

3.  Does printing crash if Citrix is taken out of the equation?

4.  If Citrix is taken out of the equation and printing still crashes, what is the behavior when the printer is attached locally to the machine?

5.  What is the character length of the printer name? 

Concerning the Database:

1.  Will a brand new test database create a crash?

2.  Is printing being done through a script?  If so, does File > Print give the same behavior? 

I apologize that we do not have an immediate resolution for this, but these answers will definitely get us going in the right direction for testing/research.  Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Printing in Citrix causes FM to Crash
            bdam_1

Thanks for the reply TS_Turtle.  I hadn't looked at this for quite some time but now that I did I have a _very_ embarrasing admition to make.  Apparently, the drivers we had loaded in Citrix were different than those loaded locally.  The problem is across two Lexmark printer models we have: the T520 and T632.  Lexmark has 4 or more drivers available for each printer: Both PS and PCL and a 'custom' and 'system' version of each.  It appears that their Custom PCL drivers are the cause of the havoc.  When I loaded them locally they gave the same behavior we were seeing on Citrix.  In the limited testing I've done in the last day or so, FM9 in Citrix using the 'system' PCL drivers seems to be fine.

It's worth noting that we have used these custom drivers for years now without a problem.  So something must have changed in FM9 that doesn't appreciate something in Lexmark's custom drivers.  For the record, I have no idea what Lexmark means by custom drivers; they do not elaborate.

In case anyone at FM Inc. wishes to look into it here is the error we were getting in the Event Log:

Faulting application FileMaker Pro.exe, version 9.0.3.300, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x0004ccad.
            The application, m:\program files\filemaker\FileMaker Pro 9\FileMaker Pro.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 10/17/2008 @ 06:19:51.562 The exception generated was c015000f at address 7C84CCAD (ntdll!RtlIpv4StringToAddressExW)

• 3. Re: Printing in Citrix causes FM to Crash
              rmanook

Hi bdam,

There's no reason at all to be embarrassed, I'm just glad that you're up and running and good to go :smileyhappy:

Also, thanks a bunch for the detailed information.  Not only will it help us, I suspect that this can really help out a lot of other users who are running into the same issue.

Thanks again!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc.