1 Reply Latest reply on May 8, 2009 9:13 AM by philmodjunk

Printing issue

Regis

Summary

Printing issue

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involvedFileMaker Pro 4.1v3Operating System(s) involvedWindows XP SP3Detailed description of the issueWhen opening a report and clicking on "All records" to print it, this error message appears:"Printing can not continue because this is not connected to a port.  Use the control panel to setup a port"Exact steps to reproduce the issueOpen a report and click on "All records"Expected ResultPrinted report... Actual ResultNo report printed...Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared"Printing can not continue because this is not connected to a port.  Use the control panel to setup a port" Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issueSeems to be related to the last line of the registry entry:  Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Claris Corp.\FileMaker Pro\4.0 Preferences]"Cache Size"=dword:00000200"User Name"="[User Name]""Main Dictionary"="""User Dictionary"="""Window"="""File Dropped"="""Printer"="\\\\[PRINT SERVER]\\[PRINTER],winspool,Ne04:"Any workarounds that you have foundNoneWhat printer are you using?Ricoh Aficio MP 2550 Which print driver are you using?  Version?PCL6 - 2.0.0.0 (latest) Is this a local printer or a network printer?Network  If a network printer, can other users print to this printer?Yes Does the document appear correctly in Preview mode?I don't know Do you have the same printing issue when using a new database file, or does it only happen with a specific file?It happens with many files, I don't know if all.  Seems to be related to a registry setting. Is the problem occurring only with a particular layout?I don't know. Have you tried printing from another operating system?No.  And I won't.  It has to work with Windows XP SP3. Are you printing from the File menu or from a script?The user is clicking on a icon. ("All records") What options are selected in the print setup?  That is, page size, scaled percentage, orientation, etc.Default Are you using a third party plug-in (like spooling utilities)?No Does the file print correctly to PDF?I can't try - I'm not asked for a printer. Does the problem pertain to printing to PDF?? Did this work properly with an earlier version of FileMaker Pro?I cannot verify that. Are you able to print successfully from another application?Yes Quit FileMaker and relaunch.  Try printing?  Does this initially work?No

• 1. Re: Printing issue
          philmodjunk

"Are you printing from the File menu or from a script?

The user is clicking on a icon. ("All records")"

Almost certainly you are printing from a script. That "icon" is a filemaker pro button that performs a script when you click it. Can you select the layout that this script uses for printing and print from the file menu to this printer? If so there may be a problem with your script.

Another possibility that has to be looked at: You are using a positively ancient version of Filemaker Pro with an Operating System and (most probably) a printer driver that is much newer. You may need to consider upgrading to a newer version of FMP. You could try downloading a trial version of FMP and seeing if you can create converted copies of your database. If you can, you could use the trial copy to test your converted copies to see if they will print successfully. Note that jumping your files from 4 to 10 is a big change and the conversion may not work or may not work perfectly.