Printing Labels from FM database to Brother QL-700 with a script

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker 12.0v4

Operating system version

OS X 10.8.4

Description of the issue

I've been trying to find a way to print from a FileMaker database to our new Brother label printer.  There are no matching presets for the Brother labels in the FileMaker program (at least for Mac) and I cannot get a manual label to print, no matter how I mess with the dimensions and margins, position, etc.

I'm thinking I may have to write a script to have FileMaker open P-touch (the Brother editor program) from individual records, but I am completely inexperienced with this. Our IT person is very busy right now, and I hate trouble her.

Has anyone done this? If so, would you be so kind as to share your process and success?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Printing Labels from FM database to Brother QL-700 with a script
          Benjamin Fehr

You can controll your label-printer like a regular laser- or inkjet-printer.

Set the printlayout to the dimensions fitting the labels you're using (you might already have set though)

Have a script with steps:

- Print Setup *), with specification for page setup [Perform without dialog]

- Print, specify print options [Perform without dialog]

don't forget to reset Print Setup to default (Letter, DIN A4, whatever)

*) that's the one you where missing I guess :-)

• 2. Re: Printing Labels from FM database to Brother QL-700 with a script
            philmodjunk

Dedicated Label printers do not use a 'labels' type layout. These are intended for printing multiple columns of labels to a plain paper type printer. Label printers print single lables at a time and the main detail required is that you use page set up to select both the printer, the correct custom page size for your label printer and the correct page orientation. If you select those items first, then design your layout for printing labels, you'll see lines on the layout that show the limits of a single label's printable area.

And then you'll need to select those same setttings, either manually or via a script, when it comes time to print from that layout.

• 3. Re: Printing Labels from FM database to Brother QL-700 with a script
              Jean-Francois

I know this is an old one, but I have similar issue with my Brother QL1060N.

I posted a new issue without success.

I had a Dymo with fixe sticker size before and it work.

I use regular layout and design my print out according to needs.

The printer is network, installed on Win2003 server and share.

I have a 100' long ribbon x 4" so I want to use the max of my ribbon, stick have various length from 1.4" to 2.5" long.

I script the process, but never the script record the printer properties.

It will keep the selected printer, the orientation and print current record, but the custom length... never, it will always return to default size.

Brother ask me to contact FM to have what command or DLL is require in the save script step, maybe something is faulty in the driver or missing and FM need it ??