Summary

printing of scripts incomplete in fm 13

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Win 7 Home Premium

Description of the issue

Recently I converted my FM database created in FM 11 to FM 13. The database contains about 1,000 scripts. When I mark all scripts and print them out to pdf with pdf creator I get the complete content of all scripts.
      Doing the same with the same (converted) database in FM 13 results in a pdf file with
      - hundreds of blank pages at the end,
      - one third of the scripts at the end missing,
      - the printed content beeing incomplete.

A specific function call appeared about 200 times in the FM 11 printout. A search for the same term in the FM 13 printouts (printed step by step) delivers about 20 results.

Steps to reproduce the problem

- with fm 11 pro (not advanced) create a database with 1,000 non empty scripts organized in 100 folders, 100 tables, 100 layouts
      - mark all scripts and print them out with pdfforge pdf creator 1.7.2
      - open the database in fm 13 pro and print all scripts out

Expected result

the complete content of all scripts

Actual result

incomplete content and lots of blank pages

• 1. Re: printing of scripts incomplete in fm 13
          TSGal

Ibrahim J. Peter:

Thank you for your post.

Do you get the same results if you select the print option "Print to file"?

My largest test file has 150 scripts and maybe 30 tables.  My printout is fine.  Therefore, I would like to get a clone of your database file so I can try it here on both Windows and Mac OS X.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: printing of scripts incomplete in fm 13
            GerardBeutler

TSGal,

I am experiencing a similar result with Mac 10.9.1 and FMPA 13.

Says there are 53 pages to print, prints 53 pages but there is a 54th page that does not print and does not show or display in a pdf or when printing not as a pdf.

I have seen this on more than 1 script.

Gerard Beutler
            Link-Net, Inc.

FileMaker 2013 Mad Dog Award Recipient

• 3. Re: printing of scripts incomplete in fm 13
              TSGal

Gerard Beutler:

Thank you for your post.

On the 53rd page, does it print the entire page?  Or, is the printout cut off after (or in the middle of) a specific script step?  If the entire page, how many script steps are missing from the last page?

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: printing of scripts incomplete in fm 13
                GerardBeutler

TSGal,

Thanks of the response.

The entire 53rd page is printed to the bottom of the page but the last script action step is not completely printed as it would go to the next page.

45 additional script entries plus the remainder of the last action step (above) are not printed which includes comment steps and script action steps.

Have a great day!

Gerard Beutler
                Link-Net, Inc.

• 5. Re: printing of scripts incomplete in fm 13
                  TSGal

Gerard Beutler:

If possible, I'd like to see a clone of that file.  Specifically, I'd like to get a clone of the file with that one script (you can delete the others).  If I can replicate, I'll make sure the file gets to our Testing and Development teams.  Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: printing of scripts incomplete in fm 13
                    GerardBeutler

TSGal,

Well isn't this great.

It will not do it now.

Still shows 53 pages but all of the script steps are there.

Hmmmmm.....................

Have a great day!

Gerard Beutler
                    Link-Net, Inc.

• 7. Re: printing of scripts incomplete in fm 13
                      TSGal

Gerard Beutler:

Thanks for the update.

It reminds me of taking the car to the mechanic, and just when I pull into the Mechanic's driveway, the noise stops.

Seriously, if you do run into the issue again, please let me know!

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: printing of scripts incomplete in fm 13
                        IbrahimJ.Peter

Finally I got it working. FMP 13 scripts printing gets tangled up when

•           there are empty scripts to print,
                        •      
                        •           there are separating lines to print. (Not always but when there are several hundred scripts)

Finding this out should you be worth a bonus.

Still of 1,500 pages there are 500 empty pages at the end.

• 9. Re: printing of scripts incomplete in fm 13
                          khatsalano

I recently had the problem of many empty pages at the end of the PDF from printing all scripts and, like you, found the cause to be empty scripts.  My process for finding an eliminating all empty scripts is: print all scripts to PDF; go to the end of the PDF and search backward for something in the scripts' header or footer to locate the last script before the blank pages; and open the script following this last printed script. In my case, that next script was always empty. I then deleted that empty script and repeated the print-all-scripts steps to find the next empty script.  After deleting the last empty script, all the scripts printed and there were no blank pages at the end of the PDF.

Your last post indicated that you still had 50 blank pages at the end of the PDF.  I would like to know if my  procedure above would eliminate them, or if something else is the cause.

Doug