1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 6:24 AM by TSGal

Printing Problems - 5100 Error Message from Canon i80 printer

Cyd

Summary

Printing Problems - 5100 Error Message from Canon i80 printer

Description of the issue

I am using 10.0v3 Filemaker Pro on a MacBook with OS 10.5.8.  My printer is a Canon i80.  When attempting to print a page of records in Filemaker, only the top third of the page prints, the paper jambs, and I receive a 5100 error message stating that there is a problem with the printer mechanism.   After one hour of patiently trying various fixes, the Canon tech support told me that the correction for my problem was to update the run time in Filemaker Pro.  How does one do this? I have no problem printing from other applications - Word, pdf files, Excel, - Cyd 

• 1. Re: Printing Problems - 5100 Error Message from Canon i80 printer
          TSGal

Cyd:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Pro, go to the layout that you want to print, pull down the View menu and select "Preview Mode".  Whatever appears on the screen is exactly what is being sent to the printer driver.  If only the top third of the page is showing, then pull down the File menu and select "Page Setup".  Make sure the Paper Size is set accordingly, and that the Scale is set to 100%.  Click OK and return to Preview Mode.

If Preview looks correct, then pull down the File menu and select "Print".  Make sure the correct Printer is selected and the Presets are set to Standard.  Click "Print".

If you are still receiving printer problems, create a new layout with one object and print.  Does this work?  If so, then the original layout may be corrupt.  If not, then the file may be corrupt, so create a new database file with one field and one record and print.  Does this work?  If not, then if you have access to another machine, try printing from that machine.  If that works, then return to your original computer and download another copy of the printer driver from the Canon web site.

Please keep me updated with your progress, as this will help narrow down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.