Printing User Defined Page Sizes to HP 1200 Printer

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v4

Operating system version

OS X 10.10.1

Description of the issue

Print to user defined page sizes. These are envelopes of various sizes. When printing to HP 1200 Laserjet, produces "cgpdftops quit unexpectedly" crash  report. This used to work with Filemaker Pro 12. This problem does not happen when:
      1 - printing to Epson C88
      2 - printing from any other app than Filemaker Pro.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a user defined page size for an envelope, say 5.13" x 7.25"
      Name it: Xmas Envelope 5.13 x 7.25
      Have a layout with an address field on it and Page Setup to that size.
      Print to the HP 1200 Laserjet. It doesn't matter if I print directly from Preview mode or from a script.

Expected result

Envelope with mailing address and return address properly positioned.

Actual result

Crash report was sent to Apple, but it appears to be a Filemaker 13 problem since it occurs only when printing from within Filemaker 13, so not sure if Apple will take any action.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"cgpdftops quit unexpectedly" with a crash report

Configuration information

Did restarts on Mac and printer - no change.

Workaround

Print mailing labels instead then stick them on. (Looks unprofessional)

• 1. Re: Printing User Defined Page Sizes to HP 1200 Printer
          TSGal

Donald Brown:

Thank you for your post.

It's not clear from your description, but in your workaround, are you printing the mailing labels on the HP 1200 LaserJet?  I'm trying to determine if standard Paper Sizes are able to print.  Assuming the standard Paper Sizes print, try another custom paper size that equals a standard Paper Size.  That is, Set the paper size to 11" x 8.5" (US Letter).  Does this work?

Try another custom Paper Size of 5.25" x 7.25" (close to your "Xmas Envelope" size).

When you do receive the next crash, post the crash report up to and including the crashed thread.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Printing User Defined Page Sizes to HP 1200 Printer
            dgbrown57

TSGal:

Thanks for your suggestions. All standard paper sizes work. I actually have 6 envelope sizes (every card designer decides they need to reinvent the envelope) and none of them work this year since I upgraded to Filemaker Pro 13 (and now using Yosemite). My business envelope I created some time ago - #10 size - doesn't have a problem and I haven't figured out what the difference is yet. At first I thought having decimals in the name had an effect even though it didn't seem logical, but no it doesn't.

Mailing labels are printing using my labels layout and the HP printer without any problems.

I saved my latest crash report and still have quite a few others in the console log but don't know how to post it and not sure where you want me to cut it off or if I should just post the whole thing. I'm also not sure if there is personal information in the crash report that I should leave out. Can you help me with this please? I can post more than one if that will help - I can read some of the bottom part to see which size I was trying to use at the time of the crash so I could provide reports for different sizes.

Thanks.

Donald Brown

• 3. Re: Printing User Defined Page Sizes to HP 1200 Printer
              TSGal

Donald Brown:

The crash report provides information of the system when FileMaker Pro crashed.  Feel free to send me the complete crash report.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Printing User Defined Page Sizes to HP 1200 Printer
                dgbrown57

TSGal

The print queue posts the message: Stopped - 'Filter' failed

Donald Brown

• 5. Re: Printing User Defined Page Sizes to HP 1200 Printer
                  TSGal

Donald Brown:

I apologize for the late reply.

One of our testers now has access to a HP 1200 printer, but they are unable to reproduce the issue.

Looking at the Apple discussion boards, “the process 'cgpdftops' is a pdf to postscript filter.”   This usually gets fixed when updating the system.

The tester suggesting to first update your system to Mac OS X 10.10.3.  Also, check for and install an updated driver the the HP 1200 Laserjet.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Printing User Defined Page Sizes to HP 1200 Printer
                    dgbrown57

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them out when I finish some current projects.

Donald Brown

• 7. Re: Printing User Defined Page Sizes to HP 1200 Printer
                      dgbrown57

TSGal,

I tried it with Mac OS X 10.10.3 and it works. Thank you for the suggestion.

Donald Brown