Summary

Problem deleting tables

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks

Description of the issue

I am migrating from Microsoft Access (Office 365) to Filemaker Pro.  i have worked through the beginning training series and am now working through the advanced series.  I am an experienced IT professional with extensive experience in many databases, including IMS, DB2, Sql Server, and Access.

I exported the data from my Access databases to Excel Spreadsheets.  The large tables import correctly,  Sometimes the smaller tables (tables with one field) don't import correctly.  When I try to delete the small tables (and yes I do check the remove from graph box when I delete the table) so that i can manually create the table and enter the data, the table does get deleted. But when I look at Manage Layouts and select new Layout, the table names of the tables I have just deleted show up as tables I can select as sources for the layouts.  How can I delete these old table names from the list of tables available for new layouts?

Thank you.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Import an Excel spreadsheet into an existing Filemaker database.  The import does not succeed (even though the table has only one text field).  Go to Manage Database, delete the table, and be sure to check the box that says something like - delete from graph.  Then go to Manage Layout, select New, look at the list of tables, and the name of the table you just deleted is still there.

Expected result

Tables that have been deleted from the database should not show up in the list of tables available for new layouts.

Actual result

The name of the table that I just deleted shows up in the list of tables available for new layouts.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message appears

Workaround

Restore the original database from a backup and wait for a solution to this problem.

• 1. Re: Problem deleting tables
          philmodjunk

Is it possible that you are looking at the list of layouts rather than the list of table occurrences when you see these names persist?

When you create a new table in FileMaker, you get a new table, a new table occurrence and a new layout all with the same name.

After posting the above two sentences, I opened up a FileMaker 13 database and added a new table. I clicked the fields tab and added a new tab. I checked to see that a new occurrence of the same name existed and it did. I then Clicked Ok to close Manage | Database and pulled down the layout menu to see a new layout with the same name as the table as expected.

I then returned to Manage | Database | Tables and deleted the table, clicking the check box to delete the table occurrence. When I checked, I found no table occurrence in relationships, but when I Clicked OK and pulled down the layouts menu, I saw that the layout of the same name was still there and had to delete it separately.

If I first opened Manage | Layouts, I could see the layout that matched the name of the deleted table, but clicking New Layout and getting the dialog for a new layout did not result in "Show Records From" listing the deleted table (occurrence). I just had to delete the "orphaned" layout.

However, I'm using Windows 7 so this might be an issue only found on Macs. (but I think we'd have seen reports on this long ago if this were the case...)

• 2. Re: Problem deleting tables
            teryl123

First I deleted the Layout with the same name as the table and then I deleted the table.  Then when I went into Manage Layouts and selected New, and then listed the tables, the name of the table I had just deleted was still displayed in the list of tables.

I just restored my database from a backup.  I also tried to figure out why the small Excel files wouldn't import.  I noticed that the first row, with the field name, had a gray background.  I deleted this row and created a new row without a colored background (in the Excel spreadsheet).  Then I imported the table and it imported correctly.  Now I have one more small table to import and this database will be almost finished.

The purpose of the small tables is to provide values when entering data in the "real" transaction table.

I have tried this on another database and the values appear just fine, but I have to click to select the value I want to use to populate the field.  In Access I just had to start typing the first letter or two and press the Tab key to select a value.  It would be great if Filemaker would work the same way, but this is a minor inconvenience.

Thanks for your  quick response and suggestion.

• 3. Re: Problem deleting tables
              philmodjunk

I have tried this on another database and the values appear just fine, but I have to click to select the value I want to use to populate the field.  In Access I just had to start typing the first letter or two and press the Tab key to select a value.  It would be great if Filemaker would work the same way, but this is a minor inconvenience.

This does not have anything to do with deleting a table from your database. This would seem a separate issue, correct? Your original file may have been exhibiting abnormal behavior due to file damage.

You can set up drop down lists to auto-complete so that you can just type in a few letters and see the values filter down to just those that match the entered letters. But regrettably, FileMaker has limitations that Access does not have in this regard. But there are ways around that limitation that allow you to provide what the user needs.

See this exploration file: "Advenures In FileMaking #2"

• 4. Re: Problem deleting tables
                RickWhitelaw

You mention  small tables with one field. Unless this one field is a Primary Key I don't see how it could be imported properly. If the one field is the PK then there is no data to import. I must be missing something.

• 5. Re: Problem deleting tables
                  philmodjunk

Many times, it's necessary to import the data that lacks a primary key until the value is assigned during or after the import of the data...