Problem Exporting Files

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Pro 10

Operating system version

Mac 10.8.5

Description of the issue

When I try to export files in Pro 10 to Excel or other on using Mac 10.8.6 the program goes through all the steps until the end when I get the spinning rainbow of death. I have to force quit Pro 10, delete the file and then reload. I can't export with Pro 10 at all.

Steps to reproduce the problem

As above

Expected result

Proper File Exporting

Actual result

Crash!

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Configuration information

None

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: Problem Exporting Files
          Benjamin Fehr

Did you set export options as 'Excel (.XLSX)'?

There's another Option like 'Excel (.XLS)' which isn't supported by Mac OSX greater than 10.7.

• 2. Re: Problem Exporting Files
            GaryEstep

Thanks, I just tried that and it got me one step further, then I got The file format is invalid. When I tried to open the downloaded exported file.

Gary

• 3. Re: Problem Exporting Files
              TSGal

Gary Estep:

Thank you for your posts.

Just to confirm what "Benjamin Fehr" reported (Thank you), the export to .xls format requires Rosetta, which is no longer supported in Mac OS X 10.7, so you need to export to .xlsx format.  For more information on FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility and Mac OS X 10.7, see Knowledge Base Article #9710:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9710

If the resulting .xlsx file is displaying the file format is invalid, what version of Excel are you using?

Try another Excel (.xlsx) export, but this time, only specify a text field.  See if that opens in Excel.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the cause of the "invalid" message.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Problem Exporting Files
                GaryEstep

Actually, I don't have Excel on my Mac. When I export from Filemaker 10 as Excel the file opens in Numbers on my older computer, but not on this one. Thanks for your help. You are dealing with a 78 year old guy here who is trying to become a little more up to date. 

Gary

• 5. Re: Problem Exporting Files
                  TSGal

Gary Estep:

Since the file opens in Numbers on the older computer, do you also have Numbers on the newer computer?  If you don't have Numbers on the newer computer, you may also want to consider comma-separated text, as this also loads into a spreadsheet, but it also can be opened in a text editor or word processor.

What version operating system is running on your older computer?  on your newer computer?

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Problem Exporting Files
                    GaryEstep

Yes, I have Numbers on both computers. The newer one, where I am having problems is running OS X10.8.5, the older one where everything works is running OS X 10.6.8  I can open comma-separated text and tab-separated text with no problem. I want to open in Numbers so I can separate out email address from all the other information in each person's data file.

I do notice that when I go through the process of exporting in whatever manner, the small screen that pops up with the FileMaker Pro logo has a blue bar to click on. It is not identified, but when I click on it, it takes me to the next screen.

Thanks for all your efforts folks....

Gary

• 7. Re: Problem Exporting Files
                      Benjamin Fehr

Gary:

If even a current version of Numbers doesn't do the job, you might give it a try with a free open-source program I'ld highly recommend, even if handling isn't as easy as Numbers/Mac:

http://www.libreoffice.org

• 8. Re: Problem Exporting Files
                        TSGal

Gary Estep:

On the newer 10.8.5 computer, are you able to launch Numbers, and then open the Excel file from within Numbers?  If so, then return to the Finder, click once on the Excel file (do not double-click), pull down the File menu and select Get Info.  With the Get Info window open, scroll down to "Opoen with", click the pop-up that probably says "Microsoft Excel (default)", and change it to "Numbers".  See the screen shot below.  You may get a message to change this for all instances, which you should agree to.  Now, when you double-click any Excel file, it should open in Numbers.

Continue to keep us updated with any progress.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Problem Exporting Files
                          GaryEstep

No problem opening numbers, but I can't open the Excel File from within Numbers. Sigh..... We will keep trying.

Gary