problem loading custom menus

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v4 pro advanced

Operating system version

OSX 10.10.1

Description of the issue

when loading a custom menu or a default menu, It loads in the background and the original menu stays visible but inactive.

When you click anywhere on the menu the new menu appears and depending where you click an item is selected.

Steps to reproduce the problem

This problem is consistent and happens every time you change a menu

Expected result

N/A

Actual result

N/A

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Configuration information

Standard installation no add ins

Workaround

none known

• 1. Re: problem loading custom menus
          philmodjunk

Can you confirm that you get this result after creating a brand new simple test file and give it a custom menu?

Or is this issue specific to a particular file?

• 2. Re: problem loading custom menus
            synergy46

Me too.

The problem started with the upgrade to Yosemite and persists to OSX 10.10.1 (I am running FM 13 04 Adv)

I noticed that if I leave the Status Toolbar open the menus act as expected.  My workaround is a script I called STATUS ON that opens the toolbars.  

Most of the time when I am debugging, I close the toolbars so I have to click: Utilities / Custom Menus then click the desktop after which my menu appears.  Same with trying to get the Standard Menu to show.  It is a hassle but I sure hope it gets fixed in FM 14!

You can see this behavior by download my sample fmp12 file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6775417/junker.fmp12

• 3. Re: problem loading custom menus
              TSGal

Keith Paynter:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue, and "Ron" also reported this earlier at:

OSX FM 13 Advanced / Yosemite custom menus bug

I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: problem loading custom menus
                philmodjunk

Hmm this would appear to be the same problem, but the descriptions are significantly different. The similarities become evident only as you carefully read the entire other thread...

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 5. Re: problem loading custom menus
                  kpnuts

phil

I created a new file and a custom menu set with a new custom menu item

set up a layout with just a text box on it. default menu for the file was the standard menu

with the toolbar unhidden, the first time I could swap to the custom menu and back to the standard normally,

but when changed to the custom a second time the problem occurred and the menu loaded in the background.

With the toolbar hidden the problem occurred and the menus loaded in the back ground.

if I closed and re-opened the file I could repeat the cycle with the toolbar unhidden

hope this helps

• 6. Re: problem loading custom menus
                    TSGal

Keith Paynter:

Forum user "Ron" sent in a sample file that showed the issue, and it fails under Mac OS X 10.10.1.  However, it does not fail under Mac OS X 10.10.2.  Can you confirm?

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: problem loading custom menus
                      synergy46

Yes it still occurs in osx 10.10.2.

I've had a similar 'blow up' problem that was resolved by using windows that were defined as Document Window instead of a 'crash causing' Floating Window.

Perhaps these two issues are related?

• 8. Re: problem loading custom menus
                        kpnuts

I have just tested the original database with OS X 10.10.2 and  13.0v5 upgrade.

The menus appear to work normally and do not load in the background.

will do some more testing with a new database over the weekend and report back

• 9. Re: problem loading custom menus
                          TSGal

Ron:

If you have another file than the one you sent me that shows this issue, please send it in.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

If you are having a crash with a Floating Window, then I would also like to see that file.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: problem loading custom menus
                            kpnuts

TSgal

I have created a test file it contained two layouts and two custom menus
                            The two menus were set as default for the layouts
                            in both menus there was a quit option which had an item to load the standard menu and it was possible to switch between layouts via a menu item
                            I was using OS X 10.10.2    and FM 13.0v5
                            All the menus loaded correctly and switched when the layouts changed
                            when the standard menu was selected from the quit option it loaded correctly at no time did any of the menus load in the background.

Hope this helps

Keith

• 11. Re: problem loading custom menus
                              philmodjunk

Known Bugs List entries (database and thread) have been marked "closed".