Summary

Problem with "export reports" in text formats

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS

Description of the issue

When exporting records to a tab delimited file, the records are separated by a \r not at \n.  This means that the standard Mac tools (e.g awk, grep, sed, wc, etc.) can not correctly parse the file because there are no newlines in the file.

Steps to reproduce the problem

export a set of records to filename.tab using Tab delimited and selecting "Macintosh" character set.

type "wc -l filename.tab" in a terminal window

Expected result

you should get the number lines in the file (ie the number of records)

Actual result

you get 0

Workaround

perl -pi -e 's/\r/\n/g' < filename.tab  > filename.tab.unix

running the above in a terminal window will replace all of the \r with \n in the file, and then wc and other Unix command line tools will correctly parse the file.

• 1. Re: Problem with "export reports" in text formats
          TSGal

David Smith:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate the issue using FileMaker Pro 13.0v4 under Mac OS X 10.10.1.  I have sent your post along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive confirmation, I will let you know.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Problem with "export reports" in text formats
            TSGal

David Smith:

Testing is able to replicate the issue. The tab-separated is currently standardized on \r, and changing it now could break other solutions.

Therefore, I recommend that you enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

Entries into this web form populate a database file that is hosted by Product Management and Development.  Every suggestion is read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked on the form that only you can answer.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.