3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2011 3:58 PM by vct

    Problem with a Summary Field using Count of Option

    vct

      Summary

      Problem with a Summary Field using Count of Option

      Description of the issue

      After my databases converted from V5.5 to V9, some of the Summary fields that use the count of option do not work properly any more.  They may work in some found sets but not in others.  Any ideas about the possible cause of this problem?Thanks. VCT

        • 1. Re: Problem with a Summary Field using Count of Option
          TSGal

          vct:

           

          Thank you for your post.

           

          Unfortunately, I cannot duplicate the problem, and I know that doesn't help you.  Do you have a file you can send me that shows the problem?  I would like to see it.  I have sent you a private message (top of this screen - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

           

          TSGal

          FileMaker, Inc. 

          • 2. Re: Problem with a Summary Field using Count of Option
            philmodjunk
              

            I've done a lot of 5.5 to 10 conversions so I'm guessing my experiences could be very similar to yours. I haven't seen any issues with summary fields which could just be that I haven't tripped over this one yet!

             

            One possible suggestion comes to mind:  With files that have been in use for extended periods of time, sometimes hidden damage to the file creeps in that isn't immediately apparent. I have seen apparently healthy files demonstrate unexpected behavior after I converted them. In my case, I was able to trace it back to hidden damage in the original, unconverted file. (My boss--who was then my client, insisted on using recovered files instead of calling me in to replace with original clones :smileysad: )

             

            If you haven't already done so, test a recovered copy of the file and see if the trouble persists. You could also save a clone and import your data into the clone and see if the problem goes away.

            • 3. Re: Problem with a Summary Field using Count of Option
              vct

              I want to give an closure to this post.

              After discussed this issue with an engineer in FM.  I realized this was a bug in FM9.  The issue has been fixed in V10. 


              Here's the cause of the problem.  The field that I used for the summary field is a text field.  It's some type of ID.  The records that were not counted (skip) by the summary field had a specific pattern like  ###E#### ( some number characters then followed by a letter "E" then followed by more number characters.  When the number after "E" happen to be =>800, the record would not be counted.

              Knowing what the problem was, I selected a different field to be used in my summary calculation.