5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 11:01 AM by bob@barcom

Problem with File Maker Server 9 on a Mac

amelungc

Summary

Problem with File Maker Server 9 on a Mac

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product involved FileMaker Server 9 Operating System(s) involved OS X 10.5.8 Detailed description of the issue I recently ran a system update, which included an upgrade to Java v. 1.5.0_20, and now the Administrator application will not run. I get the following error message: [LaunchRunner Error] The main class "com.sun.javaws.Main" could not be found.[JavaAppLauncher Error] CallStaticVoidMethod() threw an exceptionException in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerExceptionException in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:112)    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:50)    at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)  At this point, I am completely stuck and I have people waiting on me to get this working. I tried calling Technical Support but apparently they're having technical issues of their own because that system isn't working either, I just get a message saying Technical Support is currently unavailable. Also, I found information in the Read Me under Known Issues (section 5.3) about compatiblity problems with some versions of Java on Macs but the instructions to resolve the issue must have been written for OS X 10.4 or earlier because those options are not available in 10.5. Any thoughts on how I can resolve this issue? Thanks in advance.-Chris

• 1. Re: Problem with File Maker Server 9 on a Mac
          TSGal

amelungc:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Server 9 requires Java 6 update 7.  Launch Java Preferences, and move the older Java to the top of the list to make it active.

You may also want to review Knowledge Base Article #6842 at:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6842

Please let me know if continue to run into difficulty.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Problem with File Maker Server 9 on a Mac
            amelungc

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately, it didn't help. I had already tried the java re-ordering fix. Right now my Java Applications ordering is:

J2SE 5.0 (64-bit)

J2SE 5.0 (32-bit)

Java SE 6 (64-bit)

J2SE 1.4.2 (32-bit)

I also ran the 9.0.3.326 update and that didn't help either. The server itself is running. I can see fmserver_helperd, fmserverd and fmservicewrapper in my Activity Monitor. The problem is I can't launch the Admin Console.

The only other fix I've read about is to install the Admin Console application on a seperate computer but I don't know how to do this, without installing the entire server, and it seems like I'll just run into the same problem when I run a software upgrade on that computer.

Is there a better way?

Thanks.

-Chris

• 3. Re: Problem with File Maker Server 9 on a Mac
              TSGal

amelungc:

Change the Java order to J2SE 1.4.2 (32-bit) first.

To install Admin Console on another computer, launch a browser and enter:

http://<IP address of host computer>:16000

This will then download the java app so you can launch Admin Console on the remote computer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Problem with File Maker Server 9 on a Mac
                amelungc

Okay, I re-ordered and re-started the computer and it didn't work so I went to that URL to re-download the Java app and that did the trick. It all works now.

Thanks for your help.

-Chris

• 5. Re: Problem with File Maker Server 9 on a Mac
                  bob@barcom
                     <!-- StartFragment -->

This is the first time I have ever tried to answer anyquestions in the form. But my working adult life has been in customer techservice solving process problems. My experience with file maker has been in myown company using the software since fm3.  Our system at the time was all Mac.

I hate to tell you but this problem has been around evenwith fm server 7 then 9. At the time the server and the computer used to inputorders was in two different cities. Connected by a DSL line. We had constantservice interruptions and disconnects. Always blamed it on Verizon.

Moved the server into the same building and upgraded to FM Server9 advanced. As I need to do some IWP. Everything seemed to work out great allof the problems disappeared. During the course of almost a year all went well doingour normal routine and incorporating our normal Apple supplied system up gradesall of a sudden we have the cannot connect to the server problem. Triedeverything, finally called Filemaker and after a few checks was told it was aJava compatibility problem. The person I talked to walked me through the changerequired. Problem fixed.  

The system worked great, but by accident the server was upgraded to Snow Leopard. Bingo nothing works. Checked the specs and Snow Leopardis not compatible with FM Server 9 Advanced.  The only fix I was told was to move up to FM Server 10.. Iprobed the past problems and the apparent Java miss match. No answers. Couldnot see upgrading to FM 10, plus it was too expensive.

Did a clean and install of the server up grading to one stepbelow Snow leopard, Re-installed FM Server 9 Advanced.  Same problem, called Filemaker again.After much prodding and pushing was told I need to run Java 5 no more thanupgrade 16 or perhaps Java 6 no more than upgrade 7.u

Called Apple tech support to find out what level of OS 10 shoulduse to stay in bounds of the suggested Java specs. Was told by Apple I shouldrun 10.5.6 no higher than 10.5.7.

Did a unstall of FM server 9 advanced.  Dumped the trash. Did another clean andinstall, up graded to 10.5.6, Re installed FM S 9 A. Everything seems to beworking fine now. Apparently it is a Java compatibility problem.

What HW do I have? The server is a Mac Mini, 1.83, GHz,Intel Duo,  1 GB, 667 MHz DDDR2SDRAM. The only thing on this machine aside from what was installed in the stdsoftware is Filemaker.   The server has 2 individual databases,which have a total of 15 related FM programs; the server is holding 4,000records. Oh and yes I have 4,  IWPprograms that contain only one record each. They are special calculatorsaccessed from a web site.

I will keep you all informed if it continues to work.

Bob@Barcom

<!-- EndFragment -->