4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2009 7:15 AM by TSGal

Problems Importing Text

ryanelsemore_1

Summary

Problems Importing Text

Description of the issue

I have a file with a handful of text fields in about 700 records, currently hosted on a FM 9 server.  I can browse these records fine with 9 or 10, but when I try to export the text and import it into a new FM 10 file, it crashes, or crashes when I browse the new records in FM 10.  I can browse the same file fine in FM 9. No matter how I try to extract the records - export as merge file, csv, FM7 file, it causes the same problem.  There is a lot of text formatting, probably all originating from word, in the original file.  Even when I pass the data through Text Edit and remove all the formatting characters, I still get the same result. I did manage to manually copy and paste from the hosted file to a new file using FM 10, but any attempt to automate that with a script causes the crash (replace field, copy field, etc)  

• 1. Re: Problems Importing Text
          TSGal

ryanelsemore:

Thank you for your post.

It's difficult to determine what is causing the problem without seeing the file.

I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Problems Importing Text
            TSGal

ryanelsemore:

Thank you for sending your files.

First of all, I couldn't open your files, so I ran the Recover command (File menu) and created a new database file.

Locally, I was able to export the data to a tab-delimited and Merge file, and imported both of those files into new tables.  This worked fine.  I was able to browse every record.

I then put the file on a server (FileMaker Server 10) and opened the file remotely.  The script failed on the import because I didn't specify the exact location of the file.  Once I specified the location of the file, the script ran smoothly, and I was able to see and browse each record.  Here are my script steps:

Go to Layout ["Untitled" (SCRIPTS) ]

Show All Records

Export Records [No dialog; "test.mer"; Macintosh (all fields, no formatting) ]

Import Records [No dialog; "test.mer"; Add; Mac Roman (matching fields) ]

It is fairly straight-forward.

Let me know your script information.  You can either send the information publicly or privately.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Problems Importing Text
              ryanelsemore_1

Thanks for looking into, however I am still having problems.  I'm working on a Windows XP machine, FYI.  My boss has a Mac and he is trying it to see if it works on his machine.

I have a merge file, exported from a hosted filemaker 9 file using the Mac character set.  When I try to import this file into a brand new FM 10 file, it crashes on the same record every time.  Using file recovery on the new FM 10 file did not fix it. 

Let me know and I can send you the merge file if you want to try to import it into your own FM 10 file using a windows machine.

Thanks,
              Ryan

• 4. Re: Problems Importing Text
                TSGal

ryanelsemore:

If the merge file is different from the file you previously sent, then please send it to the address provided in the prior private message.  I have the recovered file running on both Windows XP and Macintosh OS X 10.5.5

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.