Problems with advanced training book and CD

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13 Advanced

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I bought the advanced training book and CD.  The  videos don't work on Windows 7 and some demo files are missing. I'm trying to find out how to get working files.

• 1. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD

Amy Harold:

Thank you for the reply. 

"The videos don't work on Windows 7"

The videos don't work when played with what video player? 

If you install QuickTime for Windows or VLC Media Player, then do the videos play?

"some demo files are missing"

What specific files are missing?

"I'm trying to find out how to get working files."

Please check your inbox at the top of this page for the link to download the files. The link is also located on page 5 under "Activity and Video files" in the "FTS_Advanced for FileMaker 13.pdf" on the CD. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD
            amyh
                 I am nearing the end of section 3. In addition to the MAJOR problem of trying to read gray text, these are some of the problems I've found:

- of Mod 3 demo videos 11-15, only #13 works. 

- in module 2, you are supposed to use a vehicle tracking file, but it only exists in the solutions folder, not in the activities folder.

- in one activity (I don't remember which one), you are supposed to link to a particular order field, but it didn't exist as listed in the book.  I was able to choose it out of a different related field, but I shouldn't have had to.

- the book references colors in the images at some points - and it is a gray book.

I can let you know what other problems I find as I continue the book if you would like.
            • 3. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD

Amy Harold:

Thank you for the reply. 

"of Mod 3 demo videos 11-15, only #13 works."

The following is directly from the Read Me First.rtf on the CD:

"To view the demo videos throughout the modules, please download the latest version of QuickTime from the Apple.com website (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/)

To view the pdf documents, please download the latest version of Adobe® Reader from the Adobe.com website (http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/)

Please note the files contained in the "Core Files" folder are unaltered versions of the Bonsai and FTS meeting files to use as you wish."

If you install QuickTime for Windows or VLC Media Player, then do the videos play?

"in module 2, you are supposed to use a vehicle tracking file, but it only exists in the solutions folder, not in the activities folder."

02a_VehicleTracking.fmp12 is located in the "Module 02 Activity Files" folder. 

"in one activity (I don't remember which one), you are supposed to link to a particular order field, but it didn't exist as listed in the book.  I was able to choose it out of a different related field, but I shouldn't have had to."

I would need a little more specific information to be able to address this concern. Can you provide a page number for the activity?

"the book references colors in the images at some points - and it is a gray book."

I would need a little more specific information to be able to address this concern. Can you provide page numbers?

"I can let you know what other problems I find as I continue the book if you would like."

By all means, please feel free to provide specifics about any other problems found.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD
                amyh

In activity 17.1, step 8, we are asked to "double-click on the TOTAL field to view the existing calculation formula"

This field does not exist, and as far as I can tell I didn't skip any activities that would have created it.

See screenshot.

• 5. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD

Amy Harold:

Thank you for the reply. 

You are absolutely correct. The "04_Bonsai.fmp12" file is missing the "Total" field referenced in step 8 of activity 17.1.

The field does exist in the previous and later activity example files.

As a workaround, first create a calculation field named "Total" with the following calculation:

Round ( Subtotal - DiscountAmount + TaxAmount + ShippingCost ; 2 )

This should allow you to proceed through the FileMaker Training Series; however, since the activity is referencing a nonexistent field, I additionally forwarded a report to our Documentation Department to review.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD
                    amyh

Activity 20.2

Below are 3 versions of the calculation.  

The top one is written as the book says - and doesn't work.

The second is changed to match the solution (1 changed to l), but it still didn't work

The third is from the solution.  It works, but I can't figure out what is different.

ExecuteSQL ( 
                         "SELECT sum(1.Quantity)
                         FROM LineItem 1, \"Order\" o
                         WHERE o.\"ID_OrderNum\" = 1.\"IDf_OrderNum\" and 1.\"IDf_ProductID \" = ?
                         and o.DateShipped > ?";
                         ""; "";
                         ID_Product ;
                         Get (CurrentDate) - 60
                          )

ExecuteSQL ( 
                         "SELECT sum(l.Quantity) 
                         FROM LineItem l, \"Order\" o 
                         WHERE o.\"ID_OrderNum\" = l.\"IDf_OrderNum\" and  l.\"IDf_ProductID\" = ? 
                         and o.DateShipped > ?";
                         ""; "";
                         ID_Product ;
                         Get (CurrentDate) - 60 
                         )

ExecuteSQL ( 
                         "SELECT sum(l.Quantity)
                         WHERE o.\"ID_OrderNum\" = l.\"IDf_OrderNum\" and l.\"IDf_ProductID \" = ?
                         and o.DateShipped > ?";
                         ""; "";
                         ID_Product ;
                         Get (CurrentDate) - 60
                          )

• 7. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD

Amy Harold:

Thank you for the reply. 

The character "l" in the "Times" font or "Times New Roman" font is a lower case L.

I copied the text directly from the FTS_Advanced for FileMaker 13.pdf and created a calculation field in the Product table named Last60 with the following formula:

ExecuteSQL (

"SELECT sum(l.Quantity)
                           WHERE o.\"ID_OrderNum\" = l.\"IDf_OrderNum\" and l.\"IDf_ProductID\" = ? and o.DateShipped > ?";
                           ""; "";
                           ID_Product ;
                           Get (CurrentDate) - 60
                           ) 

I placed the field on the Product_Detail layout and am getting the correct results for the calculation.

The only difference I am able to spot in your second and third examples is the space " " after "IDf_ProductID \" which would tell FileMaker Pro to look for a field named "IDf_ProductID " with a space on the end of the field name.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD
                        amyh

Thanks for figuring out the extra space - it was driving me crazy.  You can let the book publishers know they have a 1 instead of an l.

• 9. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD

Amy Harold:

Thank you for the reply. 

"You can let the book publishers know they have a 1 instead of an l."

The font looks like a "1" but is in fact a lower case L. 

Copy the character from the PDF into TextEdit (Mac) or NotePad (Windows) and change the font to Arial. (See example below.)

Times: l

Times New Roman: l

Arial: l

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD
                            amyh

If you look at the printed book, you will see that the one has a base underline - it is definitely a number not a letter.

• 11. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD

Amy Harold:

Thank you for the reply. 

Serif fonts will have "a small line attached to the end of a stroke in a letter or symbol" which causes the lower case letter "l" to look very much like the number 1.

Perform this test:

Copy the character directly from the PDF into TextEdit (Mac) or NotePad (Windows) and change the font to Arial.

Copying the font into either of those programs from the PDF and changing it to Arial will remove the small line on the end of the stroke. This indicates the character is the letter L and not the number 1.

For example, when I look at page 4-44 at the text for "04_Bonsai.fmp12," then the "1" does not have an underline. This is because the font is Avenir (pasted into TextEdit) and that is a non-Serif font. 

However, when I look at page 4-44 at the text for "FROM LineItem l," then the lowercase letter L does have an underline. This is because the font is Times (pasted into TextEdit) and that is a Serif font.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD
                                amyh

I can't copy and paste the text from a printed book.

If they are using a font that shows an L looking like a 1 - they need to explain that in the description.

• 13. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD

Amy Harold:

Thank you for the reply. 

While I agree with you completely that this is visually confusing, please take note that Times and Times New Roman are very common fonts and this may be the case other places within the book.

"I can't copy and paste the text from a printed book."

I don't disagree that copying from the printed book is not possible; however, the book came with a disc, on the disc is a PDF titled "FTS_Advanced for FileMaker 13.pdf" and that file is a digital copy of the entire book in PDF form.

The text in the PDF on the disc can be copied and if this action is done, the font used is a Serif font and like all Serif fonts the "l" will look like "l" because this has been the case since the Times font was created. The following is a short list of Serif fonts that will all look the same:

MS Serif (became Times New Roman size 14): l

Baskerville (size 15): l

Cambria (size 14): l

Microsoft Himalaya (size 20): l

SimSun (size 14): l

STFangson (size 15): l

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Problems with advanced training book and CD
                                    amyh

In lesson 33, the subject line doesn't work.  Attached is how it shows up when I use the script from the solution file.

Is this because I'm using Lotus?

1 2 Previous Next