1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 9:30 AM by philmodjunk

Problems with FileMaker Pro 11: Crashing unexpectedly, and unable to pull certain contacts into...

SarahEllenburg

Summary

Problems with FileMaker Pro 11: Crashing unexpectedly, and unable to pull certain contacts into events

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I have two major problems. I am with an academic institution and multiple people within my department view and modify the database. The file is stored on our common drive, however we access the file by opening it through FileMaker (per the recommendation of the user's manual).
      First problem: Our database crashes almost every time we try to use it, and is often unable to be recovered. While we are usually able to open it later or on another computer, when it is reopened we find it has lost the data that was recently imputed.
      Second problem: When we try to enter contacts into an event, some of the contacts are unable to be entered. I cannot even add them manually. The text disappears when I move to another cell.
      These problems have made the database pretty much useless to us, and this is after we spent over a thousand dollars on the software and hiring a technician to customize it. Please help.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Opening the file within FileMaker
      Only having one person work on the file at a time
      Having our technician look into it, and he has been unable to diagnose or fix the issue

Expected result

Hopefully someone can diagnose and fix our problem.

• 1. Re: Problems with FileMaker Pro 11: Crashing unexpectedly, and unable to pull certain contacts into...
          philmodjunk

Your file may be damaged beyond the ability of Recover to repair it. (And best practice is to not use recovered files but instead replace them with undamaged backups.) And any file that cannot be recovered should not be used again as it clearly has significant issues that can result in such frequent crashes.

I'm concerned about this sentence:  "The file is stored on our common drive, however we access the file by opening it through FileMaker"

Is this a single user file or can two or more users access and use it at the same time? When you use FileMaker to open the file, do you use File | Open or File | Open Remote... ?

Two users attempting to access the same file on a shared drive simultaneously can corrupt the file.