1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2009 11:49 AM by hschlossberg

Problems with FM10 SMTP

klawiter

Summary

Problems with FM10 SMTP

Description of the issue

Product involved:  FileMaker Pro v10.0v1 Operating System:  Mac OSX Server 10.4.11 Detailed Description:  Trying to use SMTP results in invalid messages be submitted or other errors.  1. If a User Name is configured in SMTP setup then the data that is presented to the SMTP server is a concatenation of the User Name and From address fields and is presented as the sender address. This results in a UTF-8 encoded chuck of data and not clear text as it should be. You can see this in the following log entries: Feb 17 13:47:13 mta-1 sm-mta[14735]: [ID 702911 mail.info] STARTTLS=server,relay=myserver.nd.edu [129.74.xxx.xxx],version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=NO, cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256Feb 17 13:47:13 mta-1 sm-mta[14735]: [ID 702911 mail.info] AUTH=server,relay=myserver.nd.edu [129.74.xxx.xxx], authid=dcl,mech=PLAIN, bits=0Feb 17 13:47:13 mta-1 sm-mta[14735]: [ID 801593 mail.info] n1HIlDsu014735:from=, size=306, class=0,nrcpts=1, msgid=, proto=ESMTP, daemon=SSLMTA,relay=myserver.nd.edu [129.74.xxx.xxx]   2. If Authenticated SMTP is configured, the message submission works when the script is triggered from a client that is logged into the database.   If the script is triggered from a client via IWP, the message fails (error 1506) and the problem is that there is no recipient address(es). Here are log entries to show this: Feb 17 13:50:52 mta-1 sm-mta[14926]: [ID 702911 mail.info] STARTTLS=server,relay=myserver.nd.edu [129.74.xxx.xxx],version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=NO, cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256Feb 17 13:50:52 mta-1 sm-mta[14926]: [ID 702911 mail.info] AUTH=server,relay=myserver.nd.edu [129.74.xxx.xxx], authid=dcl,mech=PLAIN, bits=0Feb 17 13:50:52 mta-1 sm-mta[14926]: [ID 801593 mail.info] n1HIoqug014926:from=, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP,daemon=SSLMTA, relay=myserver.nd.edu [129.74.xxx.xxx] The last log entry shows 'nrcpts=0', which means there were no recipientaddresses presented to the server by the sender.  Work around:  I have configured "None" for authentication.  It works but this is not the way we want to build a service. 

• 1. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
          TSGal

klawiter:

Thank you for the information.

Similar problems have been reported.  Some mail servers work fine, and others don't.  For example, our mail server and yahoo are fine, while gmail is not.

I have forwarded your entire post to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.

If any information becomes available, I will post it here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
            joestroll

TSGAL,

Hi, it's me again.

I am trying to send email via SMTP.  I am able to do this successful with another filemaker template in bulk with a flat file.  However, my relational file seems to not all the client to send the email

ERROR I get is mail refused by SMTP server.

Please note I am able to send mail with this client using another filemaker template throught the same SMTP server.  The settings are the same.

Any suggestions?

Please help, and thanks

Joe 

• 3. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
              TSGal

joestroll:

Thank you for your post.

If it works with one file but not another, then something is obviously different.

Is this being run through a script or manually?  If a script, I would then try doing this manually.  This may determine what are the right settings.  Try the minimal settings first and send an SMTP email to yourself.  If this works, then go into your script and make sure you have the exact same set up.  Also, check for dyslexia.  (I recently received a file from a customer with this problem).  Make sure there are no leading or trailing spaces.  Or, create a new script with just the Send Mail step.

If this fails manually, then open the other file that is working and follow the same steps above sending manually.  If this works, then there could be some corruption in the original file.

There are too many factors here to give you a definite answer, so you'll have to try some of these options before I can help you further.

Please keep me updated!

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
                joestroll

Ok will follow your lead thanks

Joe 

• 5. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
                  eswanborg

TSGal - just to add to what you've already confirmed, we too, are seeing this same problem (the one described by klawiter).  I don't have direct access to our Exchange logs, but I can confirm that I am able to send SMTP messages when triggered from the client, but when that same script runs via IWP I get Error 1506.  

Sounds like you're working on it already, just wanted to add my $.02 to this problem.

Thanks 

Edit:  I can also confirm that changing the SMTP server authentication to None, does NOT affect this problem - still cannot send from IWP interface. 

• 6. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
                    TSGal

eswanborg:

Thanks for the information.

I have forwarded along your post to the appropriate departments. 

Error 1506 is "Email(s) could not be sent successfully", so the error message confirms what you already know.

If any additional information becomes available, I will post to this thread.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
                      daviddaniel

We are seeing the same issue (#1) when using our Kerio SMTP server.

Is there an expected date to have this bug fixed?

• 8. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
                        TSGal

Everyone:

Please let me know which SMTP server you are using.  We are definitely trying to track down the cause, since we are only able to duplicate this in-house with gmail servers.

ddaniel:

Thank you for your post.  I have added your SMTP server name to the list.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
                          klawiter
                             We use Sendmail v8.11.    This SMTP server is one of the real heavyweights so it would be especially good to test against it.
                          • 10. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
                            TSGal

klawiter:

Thanks for the information.  I have passed it along.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
                              eswanborg
                                 We are running an IronPorts server.
                              • 12. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
                                TSGal

eswanborg:

Thank you for the information.  I have also forwarded your information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
                                  andrewshirts

I have been seeing the same issue but what I am seeing is slightly different from anything mentioned to date.  Of the large number of automated e-mails that get sent out when 3 scripts are run during the day, error 1506 will be returned about 20% of the time.  However, checking the gmail site, a large majority of the e-mails returning the error code were actually sent and verified as received by the recipient(s), with an actual failure to send rate of 3-6%.

Scripted, gmail server, Outgoing SMTP port set to 465 per gmail requirements, SSL checked, user name & password entered (have tried without authentication with no results).

• 14. Re: Problems with FM10 SMTP
                                    TSGal

AJShirts:

We are aware of problems with gmail.  We are returning error messages received from gmail.

With an SSL server, make sure you have authentication turned on.

I have attached your post to the existing issue reported here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 Previous Next