4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 8:17 AM by hschlossberg

Problems with Send Mail through Client

hschlossberg

Summary

Problems with Send Mail through Client

Description of the issue

This all works fine in 9.  But in FMPA 10v2 (Windows), I am using a button on a layout that is set to use the Send Mail command, set to use my email client with dialog.  The first time I tried it, I only included a calc'd subject.  The message I got was the I don't have a default mail client and to check my Outlook settings.  Well, I've never used Outlook, so I went to Thunderbird (2.0.0.22) > Tools > Options > Check to see if Thunderbird is your default mail client.  It tells me it already is. Tried clicking the FM button again to trigger the email, but now I get "unknown error (-1)". Same thing happens when I try from the File menu > Send Mail option, with all fields properly filled in.  This may be the first time I've ever tried sending mail from FM 10 via client.  I've rarely been able to get 10 to work via SMTP, but I thought at least going through a mail client should work like it used to. Thoughts? 

• 1. Re: Problems with Send Mail through Client
          Black_Knight

We also had this on several machines in our company. It occoured by updating Thunderbird from .21 to .22.

Now we found than you must set the standard programms in 'software' new.

We are in germany, so it is hard for me to explain it for the english windows.

In German it is:

"Start - Einstellungen - Systemsteuerung - Software"

In English version it might be:

"Start - settings - systen - software"

And then under the lower left button "Programmzugriff und Standards festlegen"

There you must select 'user settings' and set the standard mailprogramm toThunderbird.

Now it works.

Hopefully you can find it with my strange english...

-Ulrich-

• 2. Re: Problems with Send Mail through Client
            hschlossberg
               I'm not sure if this is where you mean...but when I go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Internet > Programs, Mozilla Thunderbird is already the selected email program.  Is there somewhere else I should check?
            • 3. Re: Problems with Send Mail through Client
              Black_Knight

No, it isn't in Start > Settings > Control Panel > Internet >

it is in Start > Settings > Control Panel > Software (where you can uninstall your installed programms)

And then klick in the left pane the lower button. 

Name might be something like 'Programm access and standards'.

• 4. Re: Problems with Send Mail through Client
                hschlossberg

Wow -- I have never before in my life seen that screen (Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Set Program Access and Defaults), and Thunderbird isn't even listed under the 'custom' option.

Anyhow, I have found some threads where others are reporting the same problem with the Thunderbird 2.0.0.22 upgrade a couple weeks ago.  Time to revert.  Thanks, all, for your input.