Summary

Problems with use of temporary memory with FMG

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS 5

Description of the issue

I and my users are experiencing problems using temporary memory over an extended period.
      My solution uses temporary memory for saving PDFs to prior to emailing them and to export video files to so they can be viewed. As the solution uses synchronisation it also has an update solution feature that exports the new version of the solution files from a container fields. The 'media' file is 250 MB ish. I'm unclear what triggers the issue but all users have experienced emails without attachments and the other sign of the problem which is file not found messages when the export file contents with auto open script step is triggered which is how the videos get launched.
      The issue is fixed by force restarting FMG. Users find this difficult to do as in iOs the method is counter intuative. Sadly for reasons I do not understand the exit application script step only closes the solution with FMG so I cannot program my way around this fault.

Configuration information

My iPad reports it was 4 GB free so running out of space does not seem to be the issue. What I suppose may be the happening is that nothing is clearing out the temporary memory as FMG never quits.

Workaround

Sadly for reasons I do not understand the exit application script step only closes the solution with FMG so I cannot program my way around this fault.

• 1. Re: Problems with use of temporary memory with FMG
          Crispin

Why does this post have the title NoFields? Is it because the summary has the word temporary in it?

• 2. Re: Problems with use of temporary memory with FMG
            philmodjunk

It's a recently reported bug in the RightNow software that serves up this forum. If you open and edit the original post, the NoFields text disappears, replaced by the title when you save the edited post. (I often fix this for folks when I see the NoFields tag as my "community leader" status enables me to open and edit the posts of others...

• 3. Re: Problems with use of temporary memory with FMG
              Crispin

Any comment on the actual report?

• 4. Re: Problems with use of temporary memory with FMG
                philmodjunk

Not being a Go user, someone else will need to do that.

• 5. Re: Problems with use of temporary memory with FMG
                  james_quiggins

Hello Crispin:

Thank you for posting.

I need to gather some more information before I can replicate this issue.

Can you define the process of synchronization?

Are you using 3rd party plug-ins?

Can you replicate this in a new sample file? 

If so, would you be willing to submit a sample file?

Is the file hosted on Server or local?

What version iPad?

What version of iOS 5?

Does it work sometimes?

Can you provide steps to reproduce? 

What file type are you exporting?

What steps does your script consist of?

Are you attempting to email 250+mb worth of attachments?

Does this only happen with files ~ or > 250mb?

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.

• 6. Re: Problems with use of temporary memory with FMG
                    Crispin

Requested extra info

Can you define the process of synchronization?

Many Set field steps in a loop. Home brew but is works very well. I have done presentations demonstrating it including the London UK Pause on Error. I have had a similar system running on 11 for many months but in that solution the size of files is in the 10s of MB rather than 100s of MB

Are you using 3rd party plug-ins?

Are you serious? The problem is with Go!

Can you replicate this in a new sample file?

Don't have time to try at the moment as it is unclear what triggers the problem I could be trying things for days on the sample file before the fault showed.

If so, would you be willing to submit a sample file?

I am currently hoping a pattern emerges, if I can make a file that breaks FMGo I will send it.

Is the file hosted on Server or local?

The iPad app is local but it syncs with an online server when it needs to exchange data or download a new version of itself

What version iPad?

'The new iPad' 64BG 3G. However the client has iPad2s and they are seeing the same

What version of iOS 5?

Does it work sometimes?

Mostly but then when the problem hits not at all until you force quit Go. Then all is fine. Clearly running the same script then works. I don't have to do anything it is just a case of the button that cause an error message is back in front of me and when I click it it now runs fine. Am I correct in thinking that you clear out the temp memory every time FMGo starts up a fresh but not when you return from a normal 'suspension' ie after using another app

Can you provide steps to reproduce?

No but looks like it is related to saving to the temporary memory area as the two things that fail are save field contents and the save as pdf function and both save there. My upgrade function saves field contents into the normal file space and I have not seen this fail. However it is possible this is the trigger as a user reported this had failed after an upgrade. The save field contents saves a video and then auto opens it. When the falure occures the message comes near instantly so I suspect the failure is at an early stage of the process as normally the video files take several seconds to save before they are opened.

What file type are you exporting?

.pdf and .mp4

What steps does your script consist of?

Save the file with a file name that uses a get as text calculation with auto open set (see attached grab). The save pdf is similar but is followed by the send email script. After the fault hits these emails go out without attachments.

Are you attempting to email 250+mb worth of attachments?

No

Does this only happen with files ~ or > 250mb?

No the PDFs are much much smaller 67kb

• 7. Re: Problems with use of temporary memory with FMG
                      Crispin

Here is a grab of the error message

• 8. Re: Problems with use of temporary memory with FMG
                        mdaracz

I would like to report that I have the same problem with two different solutions.  Both Solutions require a email receipt after customer signs. 90% of the time the script attaches the PDF sucessfully, but sometimes, it creates the email, but attaches nothing. There are no errors when this happens, it simply does not attach the pdf. 

• 9. Re: Problems with use of temporary memory with FMG
                          mdaracz

I would like to add, that I am just attaching PDF files. The layout that is exported contains 1 static logo image + signature of the client. 

• 10. Re: Problems with use of temporary memory with FMG
                            Crispin

Looking at your script md100 I see that you have error capture turned on in step 1. This will stop any error messages. It might be an idea to remove this step or capture the last error after the save pdf and show a custom dialogue with the error if the value is not 0. It would be interesting to see if an error shows.

Looking in more detail currently you have a script pause between the save pdf and the call for get last error in an If. As a result you are not monitoring the save as PDF step for errors but rather the pause step!

I rather hope you are experiencing the same issue as me but it could be you need more delay to allow for times the iPad is picking up mail or some other process that slows things.

Crispin