7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2008 9:45 AM by rmanook

Problems with windows XP servicepack 3 and filemaker pro 9

DCP

Summary

Problems with windows XP servicepack 3 and filemaker pro 9

Description of the issue

Hello, i have a local network with a dedicated server with windows 2003 server and filemaker server 9 and the last update.The rest of the computers have FM pro 9 and the last update too. The problem is that there is a computer with windows xp service pack 3 and sometimes in this machine, filemaker does not ask the user if he wants to save the changes of the data that he has just typed and he losses this data (he goes to another record or layout and when he returns to the original layout the data is not there). The problem is not always, only sometimes. Does anybody know if there is any kind of problem about that topic that i have described, between fm pro 9 and windows xp service pack 3? Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: Problems with windows XP servicepack 3 and filemaker pro 9
          bdam_1

I'm not aware that FM ever asks the user to save their data.  My understanding, and I could be wrong, but FM commits the record when the user exits the field.

In the past, I've had users create new records but leave the cursor in the last field they entered data into.  FileMaker is pretty touchy about network interruptions and occasionally it will disconnect.  In those cases, we would lose data.  The solution is to make sure your users exit all the fields by clicking somewhere in the layout that's not a field or simply going to the next or previous record when they are done entering data.

• 2. Re: Problems with windows XP servicepack 3 and filemaker pro 9
            DCP
               Fm asks user to save data if you want by clicking the option in the layout option. if this option is not activate fm saves data automatically.
            • 3. Re: Problems with windows XP servicepack 3 and filemaker pro 9
              DCP
                 Sorry, i explained it bad, is just the opossite, by clicking this option fm saves data automatically.
              • 4. Re: Problems with windows XP servicepack 3 and filemaker pro 9
                bdam_1
                   Well I'll be ... learn something new every day.
                • 5. Re: Problems with windows XP servicepack 3 and filemaker pro 9
                  rmanook

Hi DCP,

Thanks for posting!  As of this time, there are no known issues between Windows XP sp3 and saving layout changes.  

Just to make sure that we're on the same page: the user is making changes in Layout Mode but sometimes will not get prompted to save his changes even though Layout Options > Save Layout changes automatically (do not ask) is not checked.   

I went ahead and tried reproducing your issue here but was unsuccessful.  I am running Windows XP sp3 and FileMaker Pro Advanced 9v3 as are some of my colleagues and have not come across any issues.  What is the benchmark for unsaved data?  I tried a test of 30 changes, closed the file, and tested 30 changes again; FileMaker prompted me to save data both tests.

Also, is the user making Layout changes on the live FileMaker Server-hosted database?  While the software allows this, it is recommended that the database is taken off line and the database changes are made locally in a copy of FileMaker Pro.  This can cut down the chance of your database file getting damaged/corrupt.

A good test might include trying a test database and re-creating the issue based off of the issue's benchmark.  I would try this test locally on a FileMaker Pro machine.  If everything seems okay, try a compacted copy or clone of your original database and re-test locally.

Is it possible the user is clicking 'Do not save' by accident?

Let me know how it works out.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Problems with windows XP servicepack 3 and filemaker pro 9
                    DCP

Hi, ts_turtle, thank you for your answer.

I don´t know exactly the details about how the user makes it.

I´m the programmer of the solution, they only use it and don´t make any changes on the layout.

I don´t know exactly the conditions in wich filemaker crashes , i only know what the user has told me.

That´s the reason why i was asking about any problem between Fm and xp service pack 3.

• 7. Re: Problems with windows XP servicepack 3 and filemaker pro 9
                      rmanook

Hi DCP:

Thanks for replying.  Is it possible to get the user's input on the issue? (they could answer in an email or post here)  If you just wanted to know if there were any existing issues with FileMaker Pro 9 and Win XP sp3, then I hope I answered your question appropriately in my previous post; let me know if you need any further clarification.

If the user would like to work toward a resolution, let's have the user offer some insight by answering the questions I had posted.

Either way, I am happy to help!

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker