program crashes before opening, just logs a windows event

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

v13.04

Operating system version

Window 7sp1 Pro x64

Description of the issue

-Double click shortcut on desktop that worked fine yesterday, nothing ever appears. Same result from install folder exe file.

-Nothing installed on PC for the last 3 weeks, no Java, no flash, nothin'.   It was working without incident yesterday. What the...PLEASE HELP!

Steps to reproduce the problem

-Complete removal/reboot/reinstall yields nothing but equal results and equal error logging. As does removal/reboot/reinstall of v13.01.

Expected result

-A working v13.04 FileMaker Pro.

-Even starting would be an improvement, ha!

Actual result

Same results described in "Description of the issue" above. Doesn't start.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Error is as follows in event viewer:
      Faulting application name: FileMaker Pro.exe, version: 13.0.4.418, time stamp: 0x5465b084
      Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
      Exception code: 0xc0000374
      Fault offset: 0x000ce753
      Faulting process id: 0x45c
      Faulting application start time: 0x01d04ac2db4d95bc
      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 13\FileMaker Pro.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
      Report Id: 1d248917-b6b6-11e4-85c3-001fd0151d77

Configuration information

-Database is stored offsite, we only install client versions as server is maintained by another company. Other 15 clients with same versions/O.S.'s all load/operate fine.

Workaround

Complete removal/reboot and install of v12.04 (older version) yields a flawless operation, all works as intended.

• 1. Re: program crashes before opening, just logs a windows event
          TSGal

Russell Clapp:

Thank you for your post.

If FileMaker Pro 13.0v4 was working previously, something has changed.

When you uninstall, not all files are removed.  Make sure there is no FileMaker Pro 13 folder remaining on your computer.  This way, when you reinstall, all new files will be written.

Are you installing from a disc or electronically?  If electronically, download the installer again in case the original became damaged.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: program crashes before opening, just logs a windows event
            RussellClapp

Thank YOU for the fast response.

As i assumed also, but I couldn't narrow down my problem.  Hence me turning to a fresh mind for assistance. I ensured the removal included the install directory (good thought, btw...TY!) which reminds me...the only thing I failed to accomplish was a temp folder clearing prior to a fresh install, hmmm.

The download was fresh from the FileMaker support page as our client normally VPN's into the domain and that would have taken even longer to download electronically from in house.

Are you aware if versions 12 and 13 can run side by side on the same O.S.? This would be a bit faster to T.S. if I can prevent the steps of continually removing 12 every time I wish to T.S. 13. Thus negating the need for a v12 re-install if problems can't be ironed out while looking for an answer.

Thanks again TSGal!

Russ

• 3. Re: program crashes before opening, just logs a windows event
              TSGal

Russell Clapp:

You can run FileMaker Pro 12 and FileMaker Pro 13 "side by side on the same OS".  On my Mac, I continually run FileMaker Pro 12 and FileMaker Pro 13 simultaneously (and sometimes earlier versions).  On Windows, FileMaker Pro 12 and FileMaker Pro 13 are in separate windows.  You will notice that in the Applications -> FileMaker folder, you will see separate FileMaker Pro 12 and FileMaker Pro 13 folders.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: program crashes before opening, just logs a windows event
                RussellClapp

Awesome! TY, I will start there.

More to come...