Program crashing

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

FileMaker keeps crashing my databases - this includes not only new ones I've created but also old, tried and true ones that I designed going back to FileMaker 3.

I thought it was my old computer, running FileMaker 9, which kept crashing them.  But I got a new computer (a ThinkCenter M75e PC) with a brand new monitor and the IT dept installed FM 11.

But the four databases I use the most still crash repeatedly.  FM rebuilds them but it should not be happening.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Random

Configuration information

brand new ThinkCenter M75e PC, new Acer monitor, IT dept loaded FM 11 on brand new computer!

• 1. Re: Program crashing
          philmodjunk

Crashes can be caused by file damage and files can be damaged by crashes. Thus, all your files should be run through a recover process to see if any damage is reported. Keep in mind that even if your file was not damaged when it crashed the crash may have damaged it.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: Program crashing
            Markus Schneider

easy&fast check:

- start FileMaker without any DB

- create a brand new, vanilla DB with some fields, i.e. one text, one number (if I got it rigth, You didn't test with brand-new, no-Data, never used  DB's)

-> does FileMaker crash?

-> Does FileMaker 'hang' (taking a loong time to start)?

markus