Summary

Program freezes on load at auto update

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

win7 and xp pro

Description of the issue

After a few weeks of installing filemaker pro 11 on either window7 or xp on a fresh build it will no longer start up.  It freezes on auto updates.  These computers are on a domain and do not have roaming profiles.  All users have Admin rights on their machine.  Now if a new user signs on to that computer and then starts filemaker pro 11 it will work fine for them for a few weeks and then start doing the same thing.  If the user that was having a problem has their profile wiped from the computer in question and then signs back in to create a new profile then filemaker will work again for a few weeks.  That is the work around that is being done but we can no longer take the time to get their data from their profile and wipe it and then created a new profile and then copy back.  We are loosing productivity.

And the problem will go away after a day or 2 and then go back to normal.

This issue is re accruing and i have done all i can here so i ask for you to look into this.

The users could not get this to work yesterday but this morning it is working fine.  We did have them restart several time yesterday and it did not help so having it work today is not due to a restart.  Because it is working today i do not have a screen shot.  What it is,  The splash screen comes up and it says at the bottom auto update but nothing happens.

Steps to reproduce the problem

It seems to be a timing issue for when the auto update seems to lock

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error message appears it just freezes.  On task manager it is not displayed on the applications tab but it will show on the processes tab with memory usage of around 57000 k to 74000 k.  This is the only location that it can be ended.

Configuration information

This is happening to filemaker 9 and 11.

Workaround

Now if a new user signs on to that computer and then starts filemaker pro 11 it will work fine for them for a few weeks and then start doing the same thing.  If the user that was having a problem has their profile wiped from the computer in question and then signs back in to create a new profile then filemaker will work again for a few weeks.

• 1. Re: Program freezes on load at auto update
          philmodjunk

Just a suggestion that may reduce the severity of the issue: Since this appears to happen with auto-update, go into preferences and turn off this feature. You don't really need this in place for more than one machine--so you know when new updates are released so if this works, you can at least get back everyone back up and running.

Since auto-update queries FileMaker Inc. via the internet, how reliable is your internet connection? Just wondering if a funky connection might be part of the problem here.

• 2. Re: Program freezes on load at auto update
            JeffWard

I will trun off this feature if it is not already turned off.  The reason i say it this way is i am pretty sure it is turned off.  I will go check to make sure.

As for internet we have 20m didicated up and down fiber conection so i not worried about that.

• 3. Re: Program freezes on load at auto update
              TSGal

Jeff Ward:

Thank you for your posts.

If the auto-update was already turned off, do you have any other plug-ins installed?

FileMaker Pro 9 has product activation, so I've seen this symptom appear when the activation server is temporarily down.  Other than that, I have not seen this occur for FileMaker Pro 11, and I know that doesn't help you.

Any other information you can provide about your system, other applications running, memory, etc. might be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause(s).

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Program freezes on load at auto update
                JeffWard

It is happening to both 9 and 11 and auto update is turned off.

Internet access is fine  20 m didicated up and down.

all computers have been recently reinstalled with xp or win 7

Here is where things get strange.  It would give this error

• 5. Re: Program freezes on load at auto update
                  philmodjunk

What about plug-ins. Do you have any installed on these machines? That's a question TSGal asked, but I don't see an answer to in your last post. 

• 6. Re: Program freezes on load at auto update
                    JeffWard

Sorry about that.

No we don't use any addins.

for 9 or 11

• 7. Re: Program freezes on load at auto update
                      TSGal

Jeff Ward:

Thank you for the additional information.

Do you have access to another machine?  If so, temporarily install FileMaker Pro on the second machine and see if the problem manifests again.  If so, then you may have a bad FileMaker Pro 11 disc.  If you purchased this electronically, then download a new copy.  If you do not run into the problem, then you'll need to do some further sleuthing on your system.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.