6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2008 11:08 AM by bdam_1

PROGRAM SEEMS TO FORGET

RivianWarder

Summary

PROGRAM SEEMS TO FORGET

Description of the issue

I IMPORT ORDERS FROM AN EXCEL SPRED SHEET THEY ARE "NEW" ORDERS AND SOME CHANGES TO "OLD" ORDERS.When I try to import files from an Excel file I will get duplicates or errors here is what I must do in order to import files properly:(my "ORDER" field is a number that never changes no matter what other information changes on an order. So when I import I have the "Update Matching Records" set to "=" order#)But the program seems to forget that. and i have to turn the "Match Set" off / Download / Delete Dupliucates / Turn "Match Set" back on / Download again.If I do all of those steps (15-20min of time) has been the only way to get the "New" orders and update the "Old" orders without duplicating everything.I have been messing around with every combination of things to get it to import without all the hassle. (I have 92 layout copies in my recycle bin) And the above process is the only way I can get it done on a consistent basis.

• 1. Re: PROGRAM SEEMS TO FORGET
          AndreasT
             If you make a scripted import and set up your import order in the script once, the database will remember the import order even if you have done other manual imports since the last time.

If you are unsure about how to make a script, let me know and I will guide you through it.
          • 2. Re: PROGRAM SEEMS TO FORGET
            RivianWarder
               YES I AM UNSURE... I COULD MUDDLE THROUGH IT BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO GET THE INFO FROM THE HORSES' MOUTH.
            • 3. Re: PROGRAM SEEMS TO FORGET
              AndreasT
                 Ok, here is a step by step walkthru to set up a scripted import.

I am assuming you are using Filemaker 9, but the procedure is similar for older versions.

Start by opening ScriptMaker, it is in the Scripts menu.

Create a new script by pressing the New button
              Give your script a name, say Import orders.
              Doubleclick the Import Records command to insert it into the script
              Specify a data source for the import if you are importing from the same filename always, otherwise leave this checkbox blank to get a file selector when the script runs.
              Specify import order matching your table and fields as you usually do.
              Check the "Perform without dialog" box to not show the import order dialog when the script runs.

That's it.

• 4. Re: PROGRAM SEEMS TO FORGET
                RivianWarder
                   really?!? that's it? ok i'll give it a try. thank you
                • 5. Re: PROGRAM SEEMS TO FORGET
                  RivianWarder

WOW! THAT WORKS NICE...

was wondering though, when it is done importing it will show me the "New" records. is there a way the script can show me the Old records that had a change made?

• 6. Re: PROGRAM SEEMS TO FORGET
                    bdam_1

When you import it shows you any record that has been changed.  So you're seing the updated and new records.  There's no way to have the import show only changed or only new records. 

If you wanted, you could do the same import twice.  The first time you wouldn't add new records so the records shown when it's done are changed records.  Then you would have to do the import again and this time add new records.