Summary

PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

FM13 crashes when attempting to select an image to insert on a layout, when navigating to a folder that contains a PSD file.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1) New file
      2) Enter layout mode
      3) Insert > Picture
      4) Navigate to a folder that contains a PSD (photoshop) file

Just navigating to the folder will crash FM13.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No message, just a forever freeze

• 1. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
          TSGal

howards:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done.

1. I downloaded three PSD files and left them in my Downloads folder.

2. On Windows 7, I launched FileMaker Pro 13.0v1, and created a blank file.

3. In Layout Mode, I pull down the Insert menu and select "Picture..."

4. I navigate to the Downloads folder, and the PSD files do not appear (as expected), and I select a JPG file, and it displays on the Layout.

Is this occurring with a specific PSD file in the directory?  Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can try to replicate the issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
            hschlossberg

After much testing, I've found some more clues:

1) It can also happen when going into the same folder from FileMaker's File > Open > Files of Type: "All Files"

2) It only happens about half the time.

3) Once it goes to the folder okay the first time, I can't repeat the problem without restarting FM.

4) I have NOT been able to replicate the issue with the images as a sub-folder of Desktop, My Pictures, Public Documents, or c:/Users/Howard as examples.

5) If I put the images folder in My Documents, it *seems* OKAY if I access it in FMP via the path "C:/Users/Howard/My Documents"

6) It is hit or miss if I access what is physically the same folder via the Windows shortcut path "Libraries/Documents"

I hope that helps...

• 3. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
              philmodjunk

I'd use some utilities to check both the hard drive's directory structure and the user account permission settings for possible issues. That might explain why specific folders are triggering the crash.

• 4. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
                hschlossberg

I am logged in as an administrator.  It all works fine with FM12, as well.  I'm downloading a utility to see if it will provide any further clues, but this does seem to me to be an FM problem.

• 5. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
                  philmodjunk

If this were a FileMaker issue, I'd not expect to see the crashes being specific to particular folders. Of course, bugs can produce all kinds of strange behavior, but that seems the less likely possibility here.

• 6. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
                    hschlossberg

Well, any folder in My Documents, when we get there down a particular path (through Libraries), and only when it has particular kinds of files in it.

• 7. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
                      philmodjunk

Let's try this test to be more sure:

Create a brand new file in FileMaker 13. Define a single container field on a single layout.

Now try the same insertion actions from the same folders and of the same files.

Do you get the same results?

If you do, take the test file to a different computer if you have one you can try this on and try inserting files from it.

If I had some photoshop files, I'd try this on my machine for comparison purposes...

• 8. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
                        philmodjunk

Hope you don't mind, but TSGAL sent me a copy of your files.

I've downloaded them to my documents folder and then inserted a variety of files into a container field with a variety of methods and options from that folder. I tried this both with "image" and "interactive" container field objects.

So far, no crashes...

• 9. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
                          hschlossberg

I've shared additional info and files directly with TSGal, who was also still unable to replicate the problem, but I just realized you are missing some info on this forum. 

I'll summarize here what has been true...until all of a sudden it wasn't true any more as of the time I was about to hit submit on this post.  Now it's inconsistent and I'll have to give this up for now.

To summarize, here is what I've got so far (repeating/modifying some of my points above):

1) It happens whether inserting a picture in layout mode, inserting into a container, or even when using Open Files > Files of Type: "All Files".

2) I have NOT been able to replicate the issue with the images as a sub-folder of Desktop, My Pictures, Public Documents, or "C:/Users/Howard"  (as examples).

3) If I put the image into My Documents or a subfolder thereof, it *seems* OKAY if I access it in FMP via the path "C:/Users/Howard/My Documents"

4) I can now consistently replicate the issue if:

•           I access what is physically the same Documents folder (or subfolders) via the Windows shortcut path "Libraries/Documents" instead of the full path "C:/Users/Howard/My Documents"; 
                          •      
                          •           the folder consistents of at least one .PSD file

5) Once it goes to the folder okay the first time (because there is not a PSD file in the folder, I can't repeat the problem (after adding a PSD) without restarting FM.

6) Changing the file extension to something other than a known issue (ie .XXX) allows FMP to ignore it and display the file list properly.

• 10. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
                            philmodjunk

Howard, I downloaded the directory to documents and decompressed it there.

When I was testing the file insertions, I was accessing the files via the documents, not My documents path to the folder and did not get a crash.

• 11. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
                              philmodjunk

Have you tried this with a brand new test file? Did you get crashes then?

• 12. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
                                hschlossberg

Yes, it is not file-specific.  It can be replicated with NO files open by going to File > Open > (show all file types).

• 13. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
                                  hschlossberg

Okay, this is driving me crazy and just crashed a file while inserting a picture from a folder that worked just fine yesterday.  One difference is that I rebooted the machine this morning.

Is FileMaker supposed to be doing ANYTHING when it opens the Insert Picture dialog, or is it strictly a call to the standard Windows "open file" dialog with a filter on file types?  My Windows file listing dialogs are set to NOT show previews, just a detailed list of files.  And those folders work fine when opening with Windows Explorer or other programs that use the Windows "Open File" dialog.  Is FM checking the individual files' meta data to determine file type rather than using the filename extension?  Is it using a translator/converter to evaluate the files upon listing in that dialog (Quicktime? Acrobat?  A DLL file? Anything?)?  

Knowing what it is doing or how it works might help us pinpoint why my machine with problems is different then your machine with no problems.

Thanks...

Howard

• 14. Re: PSD file will crash FM13 when selecting image to insert
                                    TSGal

howards:

FileMaker Pro is only checking the file extension when inserting a file.  For example, if you have a text file, and you change the extension to .jpg, when you go to Insert Picture, the text file with .jpg extension is available for insertion.

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.