What specific criteria did you use that produced this result?
I have used the search box with the magnifying glass at the upper right corner of the tool bar, I'm not using the command. I have entered book titles, either single word or multiple, such as decameron or portrait of a lady, or an author's name. It doesn't matter whether I use a single word, quotes, or a phrase. In all but one case, the function has returned a set consisting of many more records than qualify. For the ones that do match, it is working as desired--the title can be in any of the several different fields it occurs in. I see no pattern in the extraneous records returned. Sometimes the quick find returns the entire data base! In one case, when I entered Zola, it returned exactly the one record extant that had that name in any field. That is the only time it worked properly.
ps I just tried entering the search string "bruce rogers" and had 86 records returned, many of which did not match. I re-entered it with the whole file restored again, and entered bruce rogers without the quotes, returning 105 records this time.
Did this function work before the updates were applied?
I can't reproduce this on my windows system. Quick find appears to work correctly. Neither has anyone else yet reported this issue (and I would expact a lot of complaints if others had this problem also). That suggests something else may be involved.
Try creating a simple test database with a few records and just 2 or 3 fields and test quick find on that to see if you get the same behavior.
I have tested this with other databases, and everything worked fine. I think I have found the reasons it happens.In some cases, the reference to the quick find parameter was deep in a portal list for the layout I did the search on. That can be easily fixed if not desired--just turn off quick find for the fields in the portal using the inspector. The other case was where the whole data base came back. In this case, it appears to have been a global field that caused the problem. again, turning off the quickfind function for that field did the trick. So far, all other quickfinds on this big data base work fine.