9 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2015 12:47 PM by TSGal

QuickTime MPG4 videos no longer play in the container field of the client FMPA 14

posluns

Summary

QuickTime MPG4 videos no longer play in the container field of the client FMPA 14

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX 10.10.03

Description of the issue

Previously in FMPA 13 Quicktime files which I run from a streaming server have their URLs in a container field and always played without problems. Now that I have updated to FMRA 14 as part of my license, the functionality of being able to see what I have posted via the URL to the container field will no longer play in the client.  However it does work perfectly in the Web Direct version online and on iPad Go 14.  I did see that there was some previous features of the client that have been repricated from this build.  Why  would you guys remove this functionality?  Is there a work around besides going back to using FMPA 13? JP

• 1. Re: QuickTime MPG4 videos no longer play in the container field of the client FMPA 14
          Fred(CH)

Joel,

To clarify for future visitor and maybe for you too, the way used to insert the file (or his reference) is important.

1. Until FileMaker 11, one would use the Insert QuickTime command in order to be able to see movies thru the database. Of course, QuickTime software was required to be installed on a PC.
          3. FileMaker 12 introduced years ago the Interactive containers. This format of container in the layout allowed you to use 2 other insert command more : 1. "Audio Video" and 2. "PDF". The first would use QuickTime or all other internet plug-ins in order to play video or audio files; thus, it was obviously more powerful than the usual Insert QuickTime used in regular containers. 
          5. FileMaker 13 announced that Insert QuickTime for container fields AND QuickTime engine on Windows were deprecated (not removed). 
          7. FileMaker 14 announced that both has been removed.

With that said, if you try to modify your layout and change the container format to "Interactive", are you able to see the movies ?

• 2. Re: QuickTime MPG4 videos no longer play in the container field of the client FMPA 14
            posluns

Hi Fred, thanks so much for your help.  The issue is that the container field holds the URL (online address) to the streaming media file, not the file itself.  I have over 550 QT streaming video files, if they were actually kept in the database, it would be about 100 GB and would move at glacial speed.  So instead the URL is stored in the container field which has be to be used with the web viewer function. 

When the web viewer is the display field, it doesn't allow for the formatting to an "interactive" mode as per your suggestion.  I just spent about an hour trying every way to make this work but as they have actually removed this function in FMPA 14 I think I will either have to go back to using my FMPA 13 or work between the FMP layout and a live web page to see what it will actually look like.  This is what I have been doing anyway, since my audience will never be using MFP client and so far both the Web Direct and FM GO 14 both display the video material perfectly. I guess I will just have to wait and see if they add this function back in.  I cannot figure why they would remove it unless it interfered with some other functionality?  Anyway will keep researching and if you come across another idea please let me know,  but if you would like to take a look at my project via Web Direct or via FM GO you can see it at:  http://aikido-db.com/

thanks. JP

• 3. Re: QuickTime MPG4 videos no longer play in the container field of the client FMPA 14
              Fred(CH)

When i said "reference" i talked about a path on the computer which allows you to avoid storing the file embedded on database.

But theses references cannot be an URL in proper sense… and the key here seem to be that you are not using a container field object on your layout, but a web viewer object, in order to display movies shared by a web server.

Web viewers do not have the option nor need to be interactive, since they are always using internet plugins.

In conclusion, it shouldn't be related to a removal on FileMaker Pro 14 side. It maybe a bug of FileMaker 14 but more likely, a change in your system internet plugins.

Is FMP 13 still installed on your computer ? If so, does it still works with FMP 13 ?

• 4. Re: QuickTime MPG4 videos no longer play in the container field of the client FMPA 14
                posluns

I have FMP13 still available and yes it works as it always has prior to using the new FMP 14. JP

• 5. Re: QuickTime MPG4 videos no longer play in the container field of the client FMPA 14
                  Fred(CH)

And works for me with Safari 8.0.6... And for you ?

• 6. Re: QuickTime MPG4 videos no longer play in the container field of the client FMPA 14
                    posluns

Absolutely plus Firefox and Chrome but need to use the android specific version on a Mac also have viewed it on an Android Phone using Chrome as well.  Works perfectly so it's not as if my project is suffering from this change but still QT is ubiquitous so can not really understand why they would remove it from FMP, it's standard.  JP

• 7. Re: QuickTime MPG4 videos no longer play in the container field of the client FMPA 14
                      Fred(CH)

Please note that my english is poor.

But what i tried to say is that FM 14 removed the ability to insert a QT movie using the old menu command.

You still can insert a MP4 (and others) movie using Insert AV command on container field.

But the more important is that it shouldn't affect you at all, since you are not using container fields but web viewers; thus it is not FileMaker which manage the files...

PS: I will let english fluent to continue to help you...

• 8. Re: QuickTime MPG4 videos no longer play in the container field of the client FMPA 14
                        posluns

I figured out that you need to be in browse mode to find the AV "Insert" Contextual Menu. If I put a referral .mov file into the container field then I can see the QT video in the container field inside of FMP as well as via the Web Direct but the issue for me is that I would need to generate 550 QT referral files which ads more work for each record made which is already a labour intensive effort.  For my purposes,  it would have been much better to just leave the old QT functionality exactly as it was.  I hope that the product manager reads this string and puts back that option.  JP

• 9. Re: QuickTime MPG4 videos no longer play in the container field of the client FMPA 14
                          TSGal

Joel Posluns:

Thank you for your posts.

During the FileMaker Pro 13 timeframe, we announced that QuickTime was being deprecated, and it has been removed from FileMaker Pro 14.  For a list of deprecated features announced in FileMaker Pro 13, see Knowledge Base Article #12641 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12641

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.