1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2010 8:38 AM by TSGal

Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing

SweBigmac

Summary

Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing

Description of the issue

Hi.I'm experiencing severe crash-rates on 2 of our work stations. We run Windows XP sp3 w. Filemaker 9.0v3 and on the server we use Filemaker Server 9.0.3.xxx. We are printing to a HP Laserjet 4250 Pcl 5e. Here's our issues: Filemaker can crash when:Scrolling through records - boom - gone (sometimes)Entering data in a normal text field (sometimes)Printing (using the script that I've made) (many times a day)Just letting the application sit idle in the backround (has happened a couple of times.) Filemaker crashes with the following report:Faulting application filemaker pro.exe version 9.0.3.300, faulting module ntdll.dll version 5.1.2600.5512 fault address 0x0001070fThis is the most common, but it also crashes w. msvcr80.dll, hbam.dll, omniorb4.dll, xdraw.dll. Also recieved a different error yesterday: The application, C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 9\FileMaker Pro.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 04/14/2009 @ 11:49:59.380 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 018E5278 (XDraw!XGDIplusAccess__RestoreGraphicsState)  Since yesterday, Filemaker has crashed >15 times. Very frustrating. I did a clean reinstall of the XP 3 weeks ago, no difference. Im running no special software, no virus stuff, not surfing any strange homepages. Just doing my business. Why is this????? btw: it worked great in fmpro 7 we were running earlier. 

• 1. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
          TSGal

SweBigmac:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro should not crash under those circumstances, especially when just sitting idle.  

Is this happening to all files or just one file?  If it is one file, then that file could be corrupt.  Try a previous backup that was working properly.

You mention two of your workstations are having this problem.  How many total workstations are using the file?

The crash log does point to several areas of FileMaker, so if you could be more specific if this occurs on a specific layout, specific record, etc.  That is, anything that might help me narrow down the possibilities. 

Move the file off the server and bring it to one of the problem workstation's local drive.  Open the file locally and try to reproduce the problem.  This will help narrow it to a corrupt file, preferences, or network issue.

Let me know your progress, as this will help guide me towards the next steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
            SweBigmac

Hi.

We have 2 workstations that we use everyday, and one workstation that's running FMpro 7 that has never crashed. It uses the same database, the same layout and the same os. However, on the FMpro7 client, there is a different printer installed, other than that.. same stuff.

Both of our workstations crashes often when printing. I would say 1 out of every 15 prints = crash. Crashing while idle has happened once or maybe twice in the last couple of months - can be unrelated, but still. Crashing while editing info in the database has happened around 10 times in the last couple of months. Please note that we do around 30-40 prints a day, so normally, we se 2-3 crashes/day just from the printing issue alone.

The database has been rebuilt several times using this method that you descibe, and it has not had any effect at all. The only thing is that it MAY be a little more stable right after a reboot, wich I do at least once a week.

The issue is not possible to reproduce, and I can work on the same record as I did when it crashed, and not have it crash the second time. It's totally unpredictable.

It crashed twice today, here's the logs

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1000

Date: 2009-04-16

Time: 10:43:43

User: N/A

Computer: FREDRIK

Description:

Faulting application filemaker pro.exe, version 9.0.3.300, faulting module hbam.dll, version 9.0.3.444, fault address 0x0003490d.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at 

Data:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c   ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 66 69 6c   ure  fil

0018: 65 6d 61 6b 65 72 20 70   emaker p

0020: 72 6f 2e 65 78 65 20 39   ro.exe 9

0028: 2e 30 2e 33 2e 33 30 30   .0.3.300

0030: 20 69 6e 20 68 62 61 6d    in hbam

0038: 2e 64 6c 6c 20 39 2e 30   .dll 9.0

0040: 2e 33 2e 34 34 34 20 61   .3.444 a

0048: 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74   t offset

0050: 20 30 30 30 33 34 39 30    0003490

0058: 64 0d 0a                  d..     

Second crash

Event Type:    Error

Event Source:    Application Error

Event Category:    None

Event ID:    1000

Date:        2009-04-16

Time:        10:43:43

User:        N/A

Computer:    FREDRIK

Description:

Faulting application filemaker pro.exe, version 9.0.3.300, faulting module hbam.dll, version 9.0.3.444, fault address 0x0003490d.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c   ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 66 69 6c   ure  fil

0018: 65 6d 61 6b 65 72 20 70   emaker p

0020: 72 6f 2e 65 78 65 20 39   ro.exe 9

0028: 2e 30 2e 33 2e 33 30 30   .0.3.300

0030: 20 69 6e 20 68 62 61 6d    in hbam

0038: 2e 64 6c 6c 20 39 2e 30   .dll 9.0

0040: 2e 33 2e 34 34 34 20 61   .3.444 a

0048: 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74   t offset

0050: 20 30 30 30 33 34 39 30    0003490

0058: 64 0d 0a                  d..   

• 3. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
              SweBigmac
                 tomorrow I'm going to replace our main printer HP Laserjet 4250 to an older printer that we used before, a LaserJet 4050. The 4250 uses a completly different driver setup, and it has been causing problems for others (not fm related). I'll give it a try.
              • 4. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
                TSGal

SweBigmac:

Thanks for the additional information.

There has been a problem reported with HP LaserJet P1006 and HP Laserjet P1505n printers where the application would crash under certain circumstances.  That is, printing the first time may be fine, but on subsequent times, FileMaker quits unexpectedly.  Therefore, your new printer driver may be related.

For testing purposes, do NOT use the mouse.  That is, use the keyboard to tab between the options, and press return to print.  Do not even move your cursor over the dialog box, as this seems to be the problem.  Let me know if this works.  If so, I will add the 4250 to the P1006 and P1505n printer drivers issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
                  SweBigmac

Hi

Unfortunately, we use the script to print several pages when the print routine is called up. We always print 2 pages, sometimes 3, but in the script, i've chosen no dialogue when printing. However, it may happen that the mouse is beeing moved when the script is running. 

• 6. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
                    SweBigmac
                       ok, i've tried it again with print dialouge. I'm not able to reproduce the crash.
                    • 7. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
                      TSGal

SweBigmac:

Thanks for testing this out for us (since we do not have access to this printer).

Can you try this three times with the print dialog and only using the keyboard, and then try it using the mouse?  This will help confirm the symptoms.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
                        SweBigmac
                           well, i used the mouse 10 times in a row just 30 mins ago, and it did not crash.
                        • 9. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
                          TSGal

SweBigmac:

Well, obviously, we have a different issue.

This seems to print fine manually, but not from a script....

Let's try and break it down a little further.  That is, are you sure it is crashing during printing?  Or, could it be the script step just prior to or following the print step?  Just to be sure, you can disable the print step and run the script.  If it crashes, then you know it isn't the print step.

If it works, then create a new script called "Printing" with one script step:

Print [Restore; No dialog]

Execute that script.  Does that work? 

If so, then replace the old printing script step with:

Perform Script [ "Printing" ]

Does this work?

I'm just trying to narrow it down to a printer problem, a script step problem, or a corrupt script.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
                            SweBigmac
                               good idea. i'll give it a try
                            • 11. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
                              SweBigmac
                                 New printer installed. Filemaker crashed once this morning during editing of a record. I have done serious amounts of prints today, no crash what so ever. If I see no printer related crashes in the next couple of days, I think I found the cause.
                              • 12. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
                                SweBigmac
                                   Been running for 2 days - no crashes
                                • 13. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
                                  SweBigmac
                                     ok. been running for 4 days. No crashes what so ever. It's 100% related to the printer. How do we solve this?
                                  • 14. Re: Random crashes i Filemaker 9.0v3 - mostly when printing
                                    TSGal

SweBigmac:

Development has found a problem with the HP P1006 and HP 1505n printers, and although the workaround is to not use the mouse, this doesn't appear to be the problem on your HP printer.  In either case, I have attached this thread to that particular case.

Were you able to try those suggestion I mentioned a few posts ago?  That is, just create a script solely for printing?  If working, replace the print step with the script step to print?  etc.

How about uninstalling the HP 4250 and reinstalling it?  Maybe refreshing the driver will help?  Then again, since this is happening on two different workstations, this may not apply.

Obviously, I don't have a resolution, which is frustrating for me, too.

I will continue to keep you updated when information becomes available.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 Previous Next