4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 7:59 AM by TSGal

Random Layout Changes

RickWhitelaw

Summary

Random Layout Changes

Description of the issue

FMPA 10v3, Mac OS X 10.6.2 This is not the first time I've encountered this. Today I went to print a page of a layout and it printed incorrectly. It was offset vertically by about .5 inches. Upon entering Layout mode I found pages 2-6 of a 6 page layout had all shifted, or I should say all the objects on the pages had shifted. This first happened a few months ago, and as a precaution to prevent accidental pilot error I've taken to locking all objects on my layouts. All objects on this particular layout WERE locked but shifted anyway. As well, parts were not resized. I can say with confidence this was not a result of user error. This layout was for a six page contract form with portals, data fields, graphics and text fields. It was designed to be a "carbon copy" of an already existing paper contract that's signed by producers, unions and myself. The layout is not complex from a "data" point of view but IS visually complex. While restructuring the layout was indeed a PITA at least groups of objects seem to have shifted by a similar amount. I can't think of anything I'm doing to cause this problem to occur. I'm seeing it as the peskiest kind of bug . . . one that's very intermittent and hard to trace because, since nothing's been changed, there are no steps available to recreate the problem. RW 

• 1. Re: Random Layout Changes
          RickWhitelaw

To respond to my own original post . . . On examining the mentioned layout I see the footer is missing. Also I see that it's not possible to lock parts as you can objects. The amount of "shift" could easily be accounted for by the deletion or absence of the footer. So . . . one problem explained. Now if only I could figure out what happened to the footer since I'm quite sure I didn't delete it, and a warning message pops up when deleting a part, so it's not likely to happen accidentally.

RW 

• 2. Re: Random Layout Changes
            philmodjunk
               You won't see a warning message for deleting a part unless there is a layout object in the part that will also be deleted when you delete the part.
            • 3. Re: Random Layout Changes
              RickWhitelaw

Yes and thanks Phil,

There were objects in the footer part. Otherwise, especially for a print layout, I would not have had a footer. Good point 'tho . . . people often have empty footers because they're created by default in many layout choices, and there would be no warning in that case.

RW 

• 4. Re: Random Layout Changes
                TSGal

RickWhitelaw:

Thank you for your posts, and I apologize for the late reply.

I also get frustrated when problems are intermittent and you can't be reproduced at will.  I don't see any previous case where the footer is arbitrarily removed/deleted, so that adds more to the frustration.

If you see this happening again, please keep me posted.  Also, there is a chance this layout is damaged, so if you see something strange happening with this same layout, consider rebuilding the layout.  Or, if you have a backup where the footer displayed, you may want to consider using the backup and move the data into the backup.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.