6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 5:01 AM by pcadv

Records being dropped when exporting

pcadv

Summary

Records being dropped when exporting

Description of the issue

FileMaker Products Involved:FileMaker Pro 9.0v3, FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v1, FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced Server, FileMaker Pro 10.0v1 client  Operating Systems involved:Mac 10.5.7Mac 10.5.6  Detailed description of the issue:Generating a report containing 4 fields (Year, County, Date, Comments). The Year is in the Header, the County is in a Sub-Summary part when sorted by Count field, The Date and the Comments are in the body. The records are sorted in Descending order, first by County then by Date. To generate the report you search the Year field for a Year. Then sort the records by County and Date. When you Preview the report all is as should be (106 records in the found set).  The next step in the process is to export the records to a Merge format for input into a MS Word document. Comparing the reports though shows that in Counties that had two records on the same Date displayed on the first record. A check of the .mer document also lacks the second record for same Date per County.  Attempts to export in csv, tab-delimited, FileMaker produces the same results. (106 records in the found set but 104 records are being exported.  During the export the County and the Date fields are checked for Group By. If you deselect the Date then the records are not in the proper order and there are still only 104 records exported, not 106). Same problem if you deselect County in the Group By area. Output file character set is Macintosh and the Apply current layout's data formatting to exported data is checked. I also tried deselecting the Apply current layout's data formatting to exported data, but then the dates do not display in the required format. And this does not impact the number of records exported either.   Expected result:I expect to have all records exported that are part of the found set. Actual result:Of 106 records found and reported properly in FileMaker, only 104 records are exported. Error messages:None. Only way i could determine the number of records actually exported was when I exported in FileMaker format. Additional information:None Workarounds:User must find the records in FileMaker and either Copy/Paste fields into the newly merged Word document or type the data into the Word document.

• 1. Re: Records being dropped when exporting
          comment_1

OpMan wrote:

I expect to have all records exported that are part of the found set.

When you select 'Group by…', only ONE record per group will be exported.

• 2. Re: Records being dropped when exporting
            pcadv
               The only difference I found with that option NOT being selected is that the subsequent records are not in any order. The second instance for that same date still does not show up. Still on 104 instead of 106 records exported.
            • 3. Re: Records being dropped when exporting
              comment_1

Records are exported in the order they are currently displayed. IOW, the found set is exported "as is". Make sure to find the records you want to export, and sort them the way you want them when exported.

Also make sure you stay in the same layout (or least the same table occurrence) when you do the actual export.

• 4. Re: Records being dropped when exporting
                pcadv
                   What you are describing is he way it SHOULD work. Unfortunately, that is NOT the way it is working for me. As stated originally, I have tried The records have been found (all 106 of them) in FM, sorted properly, and display correctly in the report within FM. But no matter how I export them only 104 records are exported. I've altered each of the options in the export window to no avail. If I find 106 in FM shouldn't it export 106? That, in essence, is what doesn't seem right. Is this a bug or is it a feature that is controllable? 
                • 5. Re: Records being dropped when exporting
                  comment_1

OpMan wrote:
                  If I find 106 in FM shouldn't it export 106?

Yes, it should. And it usually does. It seems very unlikely that you have your own private bug (in two different versions) , so I suspect you're doing something wrong. Especially since you have mentioned grouping while exporting, which DOES reduce the number of records exported.

• 6. Re: Records being dropped when exporting
                    pcadv

Well it turns out it was my own bug (stupidity). I was equating Group By as Summarize. Once I turned off all group by fields it worked as expected. 

Thank you very much for getting me back on track.