The fact that command-J, the keyboard short cut for Show All records brings them back confirms that the records have not been deleted.
When you show all records to bring them back, what do you do just before they disappear again?
I do various searches and sometimes Quit before they disappear. Of course, I've tried to search or quit to "make them" reappear but it doesn't correlate with anything yet.
Flaky finds and sorts that can't be explained by other issues sometimes are caused by a damaged field index.
To rebuild the index of a single field:
- Open Manage | Database | Fields and double click the field
- Use either the storage tab or the storage options button to turn off indexing.
- Exit Manage | Database, then return and turn indexing back on.
You can also rebuild all your file's indexes by importing all the data into an empty copy (clone) of your file.
If you have FileMaker 11 or newer, you can use Advanced Recovery options to rebuild your file's indexes:
- With the file closed, select Recover from the File Menu.
- Select "Use advanced Options"
- Select only: "Copy File Blocks as-is" and "Rebuild Field Indexes Now".
I may be dense but I don't find a Manage in Filemaker 6. Could there be an equivalent?
Sorry, forgot that you are using a very old version of FileMaker. I believe v6 refers to it as "Define Fields".