Summary

Records lost when hard drive crashes

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.V4

Operating system version

Description of the issue

My FileMaker data base is stored on my desktop Dropbox folder. Friday afternoon the folder crashed, and everything in it was wiped out. I resynched with Dropbox but all records that were edited on Friday were lost. Same thing happened when my hard drive failed earlier this year. Can those records from that day be restored? Why are those records lost?

• 1. Re: Records lost when hard drive crashes
          philmodjunk

Report An Issue is intended for Reporting Possible Software bugs. Questions on how to work with FileMaker Pro should be posted in the FM Pro Forum Section. (See tab at top of this screen.)

These records probably cannot be restored. Am I correct that you open your file directly from drop box? I could be wrong, but I don't think Drop Box will upload a new copy of the file to "the cloud" while the file is open. Instead, it uploads once you close the file. Thus, any data added to the file since the last time that you closed it will be lost as Drop Box has not yet uploaded that copy of the file to its server.

You might find this method for saving regular copies of your file useful: Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development