Records no longer commit when changing files like they did in v6

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

OSX.6, Windows7

Description of the issue

Before upgrading from V6, our users insist that clicking on a FM window in a different file committed the record being left.  FM 11 no longer does this, and our people are complaining that they are being locked out of records because someone else had opened that record, then had left that file to work on another, expecting the first file to be freed.  I tried putting commit in a OnLayoutExit script trigger, but FM doesn't consider the Layout to be left, just because you went to a different file.  Is there any other way to force a commit when changing files?

• 1. Re: Records no longer commit when changing files like they did in v6
          TSGal

David Graham:

Thank you for your post.

There were several changes made between FileMaker Pro 6 and FileMaker Pro 7.  In FileMaker Pro 6, each table had to be in its own separate file.  With FileMaker Pro 7, you can now place all your tables in one file.  Therefore, when you switch to another layout/table in FileMaker Pro 7, the record is committed.

If you want to continue having your tables in separate files, then have the user commit the data to the table before switching to another file.  You may want to place a button on the layout that says "Commit Record", and have it execute a Commit Records script step.  Switching out of a window will not update the data.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Records no longer commit when changing files like they did in v6
            user17265

Ok, I was going to start combining files, but I don't see records committing when I change layouts in the same file.  What am I missing?

• 3. Re: Records no longer commit when changing files like they did in v6
              TSGal

David Graham:

When I change layouts, I do see the changes.  For example, if I have a table MAIN with a portal into STUDENTS based on StudentID, and if in the STUDENTS table I have a student named "TSGal", I can view that in the MAIN table.  If I switch to the STUDENTS table, change "TSGal" to "TSGalTSGal", and without committing the data, switching to the MAIN table, I then see "TSGalTSGal" in the portal.

Can you provide an example where this is not working for you?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Records no longer commit when changing files like they did in v6
                user17265

I'm watching the field appearance, whose border changes to a dotted line when a record opens for editing.  If I open a new window, whether into the same layout, or a different layout in the same file, the dotted line remains in both, so both are locked out for anyone else on the network.  They both remain uncommitted until I click an empty area in either (only the clicked one shows its been committed, as expected).  Your results must reflect that you are looking at related fields.  That would seldom be the case for us.

• 5. Re: Records no longer commit when changing files like they did in v6
                  philmodjunk

THere's a difference between changing layouts in the same window and opening a new window. Opening a new window does not automatically commit a record open in the first window. If you use the layout menu or a script with go to layout to change layouts in the same window, the record will be committed automatically.

To commit the record when opening a new window, use a button with a script that first commits the record and then opens the new window.