Summary

records with PDF images and print + preview issue

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP Advanced 12.0v5 (and FMP 13)

Operating system version

Description of the issue

Preview and print do not put EPS background image after  the 250 record displayed/printed

Steps to reproduce the problem

put an EPS as background in one layout create 300 records and try to print/preview all the records

Expected result

the background EPS image is printed in all the records

Actual result

after the 250 record the background image disappear

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

with FMP Advanced 12 any error message appears
      with FMP 13 an error stops printing
      Console reports:  FileMaker Pro[892]:
      Printing failed because PMSessionBeginCGDocumentNoDialog() returned -108.

Configuration information

iMac 3.1 Core i/7 16GB OS 10.9.4

Workaround

Print 250 records, quit FileMaker, relaunch and print next 250 records and so on...
      (ythe missing screenshot here http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/764dfb79d7)

EPS-%26-FileMaker.jpg

• 1. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
          TSGal

Giovanni Rava:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created "File.fmp12" with a Number field "Serial" with the Auto-Enter options Serial Number.

2. In Layout Mode, I selected the Body, and in the Inspector, the background fill is set to Image, but I'm unable to insert a EPS.  The only options are JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP and TIFF.  I placed a JPG file.

3. Thinking you might mean inserting a EPS onto the layout, I also inserted a EPS file, and placed the "Serial" field on top.

4. In Browse mode, I created 300+ records.

5. I then went to Preview, and all 300 records display with the background image and the EPS image.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
            hypercard

Thank you for your answer.
            Did you "jump" to the last preview page?
            You have to flick throught the preview pages to replicate the problem.
            Same thing happens using preview several times: reaching 250 record displayed the image vainsh. At this point to have to quit from FMP.

Below you will find what I got from the Console log:

FileMaker Pro[3943]: Warning: Cache image returned by the server has size range covering all valid image sizes. Binding: CustomBinding [0x9103] Resource: file://localhost/Users/xxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx/MCM.tif request size:1024 scale: 1

NOTICE: the MCM.tif is NOT a file inside the FMP12 file

After this, you can't print from any FMP files until quit. Printing, Consloe says:
            FileMaker Pro[3943]: Printing failed because PMSessionBeginCGDocumentNoDialog() returned -108.

And now, let's see the Apple Event! ;-)

• 3. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
              hypercard

Update: I am not been albe to get again the "Warning: Cache image..." from Console.

BTW: If you want, I can send you my FMP test file.

• 4. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
                TSGal

Giovanni Rava:

Yes, I visited all preview pages.  The image appears on all pages.

Yes, please send a FileMaker Pro test file, along with the referenced MCM.tif file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the files.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
                  philmodjunk

I'm wondering if the size of the image file might be at issue where some kind of memory limit is reached. In that case, a small image file might not hit this limit where a large file might.

• 6. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
                    TSGal

Giovanni Rava:

I received your file.  Thank you.

Using FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 under Mac OS X 10.9.4, I opened your database file, and the image reference could not be found.  I then removed the reference, and selected Import Picture, but it would not accept "Test Image.eps", as I got the error message "This file type could not be displayed as a picture."  Noticing from your post that you changed this to TIFF, I opened the Test Image.eps file in Preview, and then exported to MCM.tif (TIFF) file, to mimic your file type from your last posting.

I was then able to insert the MCM.tif file as a reference.

I went into Preview, and the image displayed for all 500 test records.

What am I doing differently than you?

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
                      hypercard
                      Hello

Sorry for the little delay.

I think you are able to see the image in all the records because you used a TIFF file and not an EPS file.
                      The TIFF (or JPEG or BMP etc etc) images, even they have large dimension, do not cause any problem
                      I am sending you again the test and the eps files in a .zip archive
                      I put the files in a folder, so the image should be found

I made several test. Seems that with FMP 12.0 v1 and below versions the EPS images are automatically converted in some other format. In this case, no problem to display the images but I have not the needed image in the print operation.

Have a relaxing week end

-=Giovanni
                      • 8. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
                        TSGal

Giovanni Rava:

I received your files.  Thank you.

I am able to replicate the issue.  When I try to insert the EPS file into a new layout, I get the error message "This file type could not be displayed as a picture.  It will be inserted and displayed as a file."

Where did this EPS file originate?

Thinking this might be a Mac OS X 10.9.4 issue, I also tried this under Mac OS X 10.8.5 and Windows 7 with the same results.

If I open the file with preview and save it as JPG or PDF, then the issue does not occur.

Any other information you can provide about the EPS file may be helpful.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
                          TSGal

Giovanni Rava:

Your files have been sent to Development and Testing for review.  They will provide some feedback as to why the EPS file does not load properly.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
                            hypercard

OK. Thank you.

Have a nice day

Giovanni

• 11. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
                              TSGal

Giovanni Rava:

Our Development and Testing teams are aware of this issue.  In essence, some EPS images will stop rendering after "x" number of times.  Your issue has been linked to the original report.  Until this is changed, make TIFF/JPG images from the original EPS file and insert the TIFF/JPG images.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
                                hypercard

The problem is that I *must* use an EPS or Vectorial image for the work I have to do.

I *can't* use TIFF or JPG images.

Giovanni

• 13. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
                                  philmodjunk

Might it be possible to work around this issue by printing/previewing your records in a series of smaller groups rather than in one big group?

• 14. Re: records with PDF images and print + preview issue
                                    philmodjunk

Does this issue occur in windows systems as well as Macs?

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

1 2 Previous Next