Recover and Reindex

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11 v3

Operating system version

Windows XP SP3

Description of the issue

When running Recover with Advanced Settings, and choosing to Copy Blocks as They Are, and also choosing Reindex Only (now), results in Recover marking the file as having been recovered, even though it's only been reindexed. The problem with this is that, I hear, FM Support tends to not help out when problems are reported with a file that is found to have been recovered.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Run Recover.
      Load an FM file.
      Choose "Copy file blocks as is."
      Choose "Rebuild field indexes."
      Choose "Now."
      Run the Recover process.
      Test the resulting file with FMDiff.

Expected result

The file shouldn't be marked as recovered because it was only reindexed.

Actual result

FMDiff reports that file has been recovered.

• 1. Re: Recover and Reindex
          user15307

Ralvy,

Thank you for your post.  

When you select to "Rebuild field indexes" the file created is correctly marked as recovered.  The process of being reindexed is one of recovery.

Your concerns about FileMaker's support of recovered files are addressed in Knowledge Base Article #2944, which you can find at: 

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2944.

Please let me know if you require additional information.

TSTuatara
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Recover and Reindex
            philmodjunk

TSTuatara,

welcome to the forum. We can use the help, but the article you refer to is severely out of date. The most recent version of FileMaker referenced in it is Filemaker 5. Since we are now using FileMaker 11, much has changed since that article was placed in the knowledge base. I also did not see any info on ralvy's concern that "FM Support tends to not help out when problems are reported with a file that is found to have been recovered."

If this is truly the case, FileMaker files need more than a recover flag, they need a field that documents the recover options used since a file with rebuilt indexes should not contain any issues due to recover modifying it's structure. If this is not the case, we would like to know that as well.

• 3. Re: Recover and Reindex
              TSGal

ralvy:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Technical Support WILL help users with files that have been recovered.  I'm not sure where you heard that informaton.  If one of the Support Technicians told you that, please let me know, and I'll make sure my boss knows.

Knowledge Base Article #2944 is definitely out of date, and it has been archived (inacessible).

Currently, when you go through the recovery process, any new file created by the process, even if only reindexing, is marked as recovered.  I recommend you enter this as a suggestion in our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries from this web form are placed into a database file monitored by Product Management and Development, where both departments will discuss and consider this suggestion for a future release.  I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Recover and Reindex
                ralvy

Okay. Done.