Summary

Rectangle tool does not disengage

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.6

Description of the issue

(FM Pro Advanced 11 running on OS X 10.6) When using the rectangle tool to draw a rectangle, the dashed rectangle created by the click and drag continues to follow my cursor around the computer screen as if I am still creating the rectangle.  Clicking the mouse button does not disengage the rectangle tool.  Furthermore, no other buttons or controls in the FM window are operational.  I am forced to use Force Quit from the Finder.  This is happening using the 04a_Bonsai.fp7 file used in the Training Series Manual.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1) Select the rectangle tool.
      2) Begin to draw a rectangle.
      3) Problem now occurs--cannot disengage from the rectangle tool.  The dashed line rectangle follows the cursor all around the computer screen.

Expected result

I expect the rectangle tool to disengage when I click the mouse.

Actual result

Rectangle tool does not disengage.

Configuration information

FM Pro Advanced 11.0v2
      OS X 10.6.6
      Hardware Overview:
        Model Name:     iMac
        Model Identifier:     iMac7,1
        Processor Name:     Intel Core 2 Duo
        Processor Speed:     2 GHz
        Number Of Processors:     1
        Total Number Of Cores:     2

Workaround

None so far.

• 1. Re: Rectangle tool does not disengage
          philmodjunk

Just to rule out possible causes, is there a different mouse available so you can swap them and see if you get the same problem with either mouse?

Is there a different computer available where you can try this?

Have tried this with more than just one file?

• 2. Re: Rectangle tool does not disengage
            TSGal

Moofer:

Thank you for your post.

If you click the rectangle tool once, it will disengage after drawing a rectangle.  If you double-click the rectangle tool, then it will remain active so you can draw multiple rectangles.  Just click on another tool to make it active, or just select the arrow tool to return to normal state.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Rectangle tool does not disengage
              Moofer

To answer PhilModjunk's question, the problem seems to occur across different files.  Although I have not tried to reproduce this problem on another computer, it does happen with another mouse.  On further testing, the problem is not just with the rectangle tool, but with any drawing tool.  Somehow, although the FM window appears to be active and FM is listed as the active application on the Menu bar, the FM window is not active and I'm really creating a line or object (rectangle or circle) from within Finder, not FM.  The workaround is simply to click on the FM icon in the dock to make the window truly active.  My guess is that the problem is with my Mac, not FM.

Thanks to PhilModjunk and TSGal for responding;  the problem does not appear to be with FM.