Referenced Illustrator images no longer viewable in FM13

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMS 13, FMPro 13, FM Advanced 13

Operating system version

Mavericks 10.9.1

Description of the issue

Our collection of hundreds of referenced Adobe Illustrator images are no longer viewable in our Filemaker image catalog.  The files, when imported as a collection in a folder, previously displayed the actual artwork in the container field. Now it shows a document icon.

Steps to reproduce the problem

- Create a file with a container field in FM11 (earlier worked also).
      - We use a script to import a folder of these images. Key script step is:
      Import Records [No dialog; FOLDERNAME; Include all enclosed folders; Picture and movie files; Import only a reference; Update matching; Mac Roman]

Expected result

The expected result is to see the actual artwork in the container field.

Actual result

The actual result is we see a document icon.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages.

Configuration information

Images tested were created/modified in both Adobe Illustrator CS5 and Illustrator CS6. Saved as as Adobe Illustrator, box checked for Create PDF Compatible File, box checked for Use Compression. Also tried without box checked.

Workaround

No workaround found.

Support, please let me know if you want the script we use to import images, or the Illustrator file to test.

screen_capt_30g_DS4_FM11vsFM13.jpg

• 1. Re: Referenced Illustrator images no longer viewable in FM13
          TSGal

Wendy:

Thank you for your post.

Since there is a PDF Compatible image, have you tried setting the Container field for Interactive content?

For testing purposes, have you tried inserting one file individually into a Container field?  Try also without compression.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Referenced Illustrator images no longer viewable in FM13
            wendy

Hi TSGal, and thank you for your attention to this issue!

- When I set the Container field for Interactive content, I get a completely blank container.  No image and no document icon.

- When I tried Insert Picture, I got this message:  "This file type could not be displayed as a picture. It will be inserted and displayed as a file."  I got the document icon.

- When I tried Insert File, I did not get the message, but I got the icon again.

- When I tried to insert AI files as Picture, saved as:
                     - PDF compatible, no compression
                     - No PDF compatible, no compression
                     - No PDF compatible with compression
                 I got the document icon.

I also put the above files in a folder and tried importing with the container set for images. Document icon only.

I also put the above files in a folder and tried importing with the container set for Interactive. Blank container fields.

• 3. Re: Referenced Illustrator images no longer viewable in FM13
              TSGal

Wendy:

Since the file extension is .ai, it will not display as a picture in FileMaker Pro 12/13.  Are you able to Insert PDF instead of Insert Picture?  If not, then you'll need to change the file type.  See Knowledge Base Article #5553 for more information on file types:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5553

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Referenced Illustrator images no longer viewable in FM13
                wendy

Hi TSGal. Thank you. I was aware that .AI files weren't in that list, but since they worked in FM11 and earlier, we were hoping that support would continue even if that format was not documented.

I tried PDFs in the past and was very hopeful, except I seem to recall that on the PC side the import did not work; Filemaker's import on Windows did not even recognize the existence of the PDFs. (Our image catalogs are accessed by both PC and Mac users.) If FM13 on WIndows will now import PDFs, that is a workaround we will try to accommodate.

I will try Insert Picture with a PDF also, but importing is certainly preferable to inserting hundreds of images one by one...

• 5. Re: Referenced Illustrator images no longer viewable in FM13
                  philmodjunk

I will try Insert Picture with a PDF also, but importing is certainly preferable to inserting hundreds of images one by one...

If you put your folder of PDF's in a folder located inside the documents folder, you can use a script to pull up a list of the files in the folder and then use Insert PDF to insert them one at a time. The key is that there is a Get function that will list all files and folders inside your documents folder so that you can generate that list and then parse out the file names of the PDF's that you want to insert.

• 6. Re: Referenced Illustrator images no longer viewable in FM13

Wendy:

Thank you for the reply.

The user in the following discussion thread encountered an issue similar to yours:

Container Field Inconsistency

You will find a script written by PhilModJunk (many thanks!) that exports the files out of the container field and then reimports. At least for PDF files this allowed the container field content to go from displaying a thumbnail to displaying as interactive. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Referenced Illustrator images no longer viewable in FM13
                      wendy

I've got two potential problems. One is that our AI files are no longer viewable. The discussion about the export/reimport script is may be applicable, but if setting my container field to interactive and importing already does not work, I have my doubts that an export/re-import process would. IF I understand this discussion correctly, which I may not! 

The other is that if we end up using PDFs instead of AI files to display these images in Filemaker, I haven't found a way to import PDF files on a PC. I have my fingers crossed that this may now work in FM13. (You would think so since PDFs are common on both platforms.)  If not, it sounds like PhilModJunk's idea--using a script to get a list of the PDF names and use this list to insert the PDFs--might be a way around that issue.

A note:  In order to keep the database size down, we've been using REFERENCED images in the container field, not internally-stored thumbnails. I have never used "insert", but it sounds like this would increase our database size quite a bit

• 8. Re: Referenced Illustrator images no longer viewable in FM13
                        TSGal

Wendy:

FileMaker Pro 13 will allow you to import a folder of PDF files into a Container field.  For example, if I pull down the File menu and select Import Records -> Folder and select the FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced folder, I can select the option to "Import only a reference to each picture file", and the three PDF files (Acknowledgements, Read Me, and License) will be imported as images into the Container field.  If the Container field is set as Interactive, then once the PDF files are imported, you can browse through more than one page of each PDF file.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Referenced Illustrator images no longer viewable in FM13
                          wendy

TSGal, I finally got a chance to try importing PDFs into a container in Filemaker 13 on the PC.  I have four screen captures of what occurred but this forum does not seem to want to upload more than one...?  So here is #3 of four.  The last image shows the message :  "3 files in "PDF test" cannot be imported because they arenot the specified file type."

• 10. Re: Referenced Illustrator images no longer viewable in FM13
                            TSGal

Wendy:

Here are the steps I took:

1. I have a database file with a Container field formatted for Interactive content.

2. I created a Folder and downloaded four PDF files from our documentation into the Folder.  The four PDF files are "fm13_sql_reference.pdf", "fmp13_install.pdf", "fm13_odbc_jdbc_guide.pdf" and "fmp13_users_guide.pdf".

3. In FileMaker Pro 13.0v2 under Windows 7, I opened the database file, pulled down the File menu and selected Import Records -> Folder...

4. I clicked "Specify..." and selected the Folder that contains the four PDF files.

5. Under File Type, I select "Picture and movie files", and the option "Import only a reference to each picture file" has a check mark.

6. I click "Continue...", and I make sure the Image matches up to the Container field.  My Import Action is to "Add new records."

7. I click Import, and the PDF files all appear as expected.  See my screen shot immediately after import.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.