Related Fields Not Showing After Importing Records

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v1

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.7.3

Description of the issue

Data in at least one related field doesn't show up on a layout after importing records.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Import records.

Expected result

I can see the data in related fields.

Actual result

I can't see the data in at least related field.  It is blank, even after I click in it, click somewhere else to commit the record, etc.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Configuration information

Running FileMaker Pro Advanced, viewing a database hosted on FileMaker Server Advanced.

Workaround

It seems you have to do click in the field on a layout that is attached to the field's table, and then come back to the original layout.

• 1. Re: Related Fields Not Showing After Importing Records
          philmodjunk

I'm not sure I understand your description of the problem:

I can't see the data in at least related field. It is blank, even after I click in it, click somewhere else to commit the record, etc.

Would seem to indicate that you can't see the data from the related table at all.

It seems you have to do click in the field on a layout that is attached to the field's table, and then come back to the original layout.

Would imply that you can see the data in the field...

In the first case, you should check the details of your relationship and the values in the match fields that define it--including checking the defined data types of these fields to ensure that they are compatibile types.

In the second case, You might have a script trigger or something that is modifying a field when you click in and out of that field on the other layout...

• 2. Re: Related Fields Not Showing After Importing Records
            infoCypher

Ok, let me try to be more clear.

I am on a layout that is attached to the "Production" table.  There is a related calculation field (Service::CompanyName) on that layout.  I import records into the Production table.  I cannot see anything in the Service::CompanyName field.  I have to go over to a layout that is attached to the Company table (not the Service table), click in the "name" field, and then come back to the "Production" table layout before anything shows up in the Company::name field.

The Production table is related to the Service table by an idService field, and the Service table is related to the Company table by an idCompany field.  It's a pretty straightforward relationship.  There are no script triggers on the Service::CompanyName field on the Production layout.

Is that more clear?

• 3. Re: Related Fields Not Showing After Importing Records
              TSGal

Deepali Gokhale:

Thank you for your posts and clarification.

I am unable to replicate the issue.

I have a Production table connected to a Service table by ID (Number field).  When I import a CSV text file strictly into the ID field, all related records appear in the portal.  I performed this with FileMaker Pro 12 on both Mac OS X 10.7.3 and Windows XP (SP3).

Any other information you can provide to help replicate the problem would be appreciated.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Related Fields Not Showing After Importing Records
                infoCypher

How many records did you import?  I imported over 50,000.  Also, the field is not in a portal.  It is just on the Production layout as a related field. 

Also, as I mentioned above, I have three tables, not two.  The Company table has a one-to-many relationship with the Service table, which has a one-to-many relationship with the Production table.  The Production layout is attached to the Production table and the Service::CompanyName field (problem field) is looking into the Service table, at a calculation that shows the company name from the Company table.

Third, the import is coming from another FileMaker 12 database, not a CSV file.

• 5. Re: Related Fields Not Showing After Importing Records
                  philmodjunk

There is a related calculation field (Service::CompanyName) on that layout.

Can you confirm that this field is of type calculation, not a text field with an auto-entered calculation when you check it in Manage | Database | Fields?

• 6. Re: Related Fields Not Showing After Importing Records
                    infoCypher

It's an unstored calculation, not an auto-entered calculation.

• 7. Re: Related Fields Not Showing After Importing Records
                      TSGal

Deepali Gokhale:

If you don't use the Calculation field and just use the Company Name field from the Company table, does this display?

Can you verify the ID matches the ID in the Services table?  If you have a portal from the Productions table into the Services table, does data display?

The number of records imported should have no bearing.  Is this occurring for all records or just some?  If some, do you notice any common denominator?

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Related Fields Not Showing After Importing Records
                        philmodjunk

You might also try running a recover on the file and testing the recovered copy--even if no problems are reported. Recovering a file rebuilds the indexes and this might affect the issue here. If recovering works, you can use advanced recover options to just rebuild the indexes and makes no other changes to see if that fixes the problem.

• 9. Re: Related Fields Not Showing After Importing Records
                          infoCypher

If you don't use the Calculation field and just use the Company Name field from the Company table, does this display?

I haven't tried this, but it shouldn't matter.  The Calculation field should work. 

Can you verify the ID matches the ID in the Services table?  If you have a portal from the Productions table into the Services table, does data display?

Yes, it matches.  Like I said, if I go to the other layout and return to the same layout, the data shows up in the field.  I shouldn't have to do this.  Again, it doesn't matter if the data displays in a portal, since that's not what I need on the layout.  In any case, I don't have time to reimport the records to test this.

The number of records imported should have no bearing.  Is this occurring for all records or just some?  If some, do you notice any common denominator?

All of the imported records, not some.

You might also try running a recover on the file and testing the recovered copy--even if no problems are reported. Recovering a file rebuilds the indexes and this might affect the issue here. If recovering works, you can use advanced recover options to just rebuild the indexes and makes no other changes to see if that fixes the problem.

I've already tried this.  It made no difference.

• 10. Re: Related Fields Not Showing After Importing Records
                            philmodjunk

I haven't tried this, but it shouldn't matter.  The Calculation field should work.

Yes it should be please try it anyway. It may provide a useful clue in why it isn't working for you.