Summary

Relationship problem between all the FM files

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.5.8

Description of the issue

I just can't work out how to make my contact management, invoices and Inventory data files see each other, so they are all linked and I can use the contacts from the contact management file (which took me 2 days to put in), into the invoices etc, I know its in the relationships graph but I can’t work how I do it, it just doesn’t make sense to me at all.

Also the Related Contacts in my contact Management won’t work it won’t let me click into it.

Its all monkey, green, dishwasher to me!!

thanks

• 1. Re: Relationship problem between all the FM files
          philmodjunk

ARe you using starter solutions for your contact management, invoices and inventory? If so, they weren't designed to share data. You'd need to modify the files to link to common tables in on file or another to do this and this will require fairly extensive work to bring about.

Also the Related Contacts in my contact Management won’t work it won’t let me click into it.

Again, assuming that this is the starter solution, did you import your contacts into this file from a different source?

If so, see this link for a likely explanation:  Help importing Excel data into a Filemaker Starter solution

• 2. Re: Relationship problem between all the FM files
            Moggie

Thanks PhilModJunk for your fast response, so basically this "easy to use" program isn't.

I used the starter solutions first after the failed attempt to override the free templates, I couldn't get them to link and change the name etc so I decided to start again with the starter solutions, I imported the contacts for MYOB then I had to change the order etc for that, then I copied and pasted so bits for the free templates which is why the Related Contacts dosen't work, I don't understand how you make and link the field and links.

I called tech support and they told me I would have to pay the $75 fee to get the support I need, I'd rather pay someone to get the whole thing to work for me how I want it. I've been at it, tweaking and trying to get the thing right for this - the 3rd day and I am so over the whole thing. I might have to go back to pen and paper!

• 3. Re: Relationship problem between all the FM files
              philmodjunk

I'd say it's very easy to use compared to the competition. You're just trying to use the files in a manner they weren't designed to support "out of the box".

IMO, starter solutions are just that, starter solutions. They illustrate one way you might go about creating a solution and provide examples of how you might design interfaces and scripts to do that. This is a database creation system that is intended to enable you to design your own systems, not a shrink wrapped solution, like MYOB that you can just take and start using--unless your needs are very limited.

Assistance here in the forum won't cost you a dime, but you'll need to be prepared to invest significant time learning how relational databases in general and FileMaker Pro in specific works. There are also books and tutorials--even free videos on YouTube, you can use to help get up to speed.

• 4. Re: Relationship problem between all the FM files
                Moggie

I will endeavor to learn, though I'm a creative so its hard to get my haed around it!! I cant understand why I cant find the solution anywhere, I have spent a lot of time looking.

Thanks again, 

• 5. Re: Relationship problem between all the FM files
                  philmodjunk

From your posts, it's more a case of solutions than solution. You've describe several different issues. I suggest taking a deep breath, backing up a step or two and taking them on one at a time. You might want to post once such issue at a time over in the FM PRO forum where there are several volunteers besides me that can take on providing some assistance.